Best or Accurate Political Movies ever?

Doesn’t matter what the leaning is… It can be a favorite, or one you think that is accurate, you can describe your decision-making.

It’s been a while, but I remember “The Edukators” being a great political film.

-Network

-The Godfather (more abstract) than There Will Be Blood

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

-A Face in the Crowd
I’ll think of more later…

Citizen Kane

Another vote for ‘The Edukators’. All the more interesting for how much the corrosive effects of US style bare knuckle capitalism pervades even in Germany.

I actually visited Germany for the first time a few months after seeing that movie. It exists, but Germany actually has a social safety net worth saving, where in the US, not so. I just loved the fridge materialism, “Eat your stereo”

I’m pretty certain, “All the President’s Men” should win this running away.

But ATPM is a retelling of a factual story, using real names, etc.

Of course Robert Redford never made a fictional movie about a politician that included bits from actual campaigns. :wink:

Bob Roberts. I haven’t watched it for a few years but one look at the image of Tim Robbins, as the title character, wrapping himself in the flag makes it look pretty relevant. Worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

Ninotchka

One, Two, Three

Wag the Dog seemed pretty accurate.

Dave (1993] — Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ving Rhames, Charles Grodin, and Ben Kingsley.

ETA a comedy, quite enjoyable.

Burn After Reading.

Duck Soup (1933)

Gabriel Over the White House (1933) - Depression-era presidential fantasy in support of fascism to solve the country’s (and world’s) problems.

The President Vanishes (1934) - Depression-era presidential fantasy in support of U.S. isolationism.

The Great Dictator (1940)

The Great McGinty (1940)

The Glass Key (1942)

Dr. Strangelove (1962) - Looks less like a comedy every year.

The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Z (1969)

Medium Cool (1969)

Syriana (2005)

“In The Loop”, from Armando Iannucci. Same guy who came up with Veep and the BBC show, The Thick Of It. Might as well go see his “The Death of Stalin,” too.

“The Fog of War”, a documentary interview by Errol Morris, about Robert McNamara, is supposed to be excellent. I liked Redford’s, “The Candidate,” but it’s been awhile. Pity no one’s made a movie out of “Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72.”

The Distinguished Gentleman, starring Eddie Murphy, deserves a mention.

For a look at 1860s Sicilian politics, there is The Leopard, Luchino Visconti’s film of Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa’s novel.

from https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/326-remembrance-of-things-past-the-leopard

Seconded. In the Loop is scary and depressing–that an acidic satire captures the run-up to the Iraq War so accurately–and yet also hilarious as hell.

Bring your A-game as a viewer, because the Iannucci rapid-fire dialogue train stops for no one.

I’ll take your “Candidate” and raise to “The Manchurian Candidate”

Bob Roberts and Wag the Dog are the two most scary movies I’ve ever seen. I can believe either can happen in this country.

Parallax View: paranoid conspiracy theory stuff, but a little too real
The President’s Analyst: fun comedy, but also a little too real

Waltz with Bashir: Although animated, it is one of the best political films. It explores the intersection between the collective and the individualistic. It does so by focusing how war causes mental trauma, and how that trauma goes on to affect an individual–both in their interpersonal relations and in terms of shaping their worldview.