Best platonic/unconsummated love affairs

Whatever you do, don’t read this.

Although it’s a poorly drawn cartoon, it may be considered NSFW by some.

Well, yes. Sam was lusting after Rosie and prob’ly wnated to do very naughty Hobbit-things to her, but he loved and cared for Frodo deeply too. I didn’t mean it in a homosexual sense. As a companions, they were soul mates. Did you notice the word platonic in the thread title?

Uhmm, would Xander and Willow from Buffy count? He was fawning for her quite for sometime. Actually, no I guess they don’t. Meh, I got nothing.

Heh, pardon my audible blurp.

Richard Burton and Deborah Kerr in Night of the Iguana.

Well, of course I noticed the thread title. I’m the OPer.

I would think so. They never really got to get to it, although they certainly tried. But Cordy and Oz burst in at exactly the wrong time.

Me and Chris P(xxxxxx) when we were in college. Sigh.

Oh, you mean like in the movies…I got nothin’.

Oh, snap. Wow… I’m an idiot of the highest caliber. I’ll just shut up now-- but not before the fanboy in me suggests Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. Their love was fo’ TRUE!

Matilda and Leon from the Professional.
And since Ms Coppola has said the Lost in Translation line is unintelligle and ambiguous I call BS on anyone saying they KNOW what was said.

Oh this is easy.

J.D. and Turk.

Ah what the hell:

Henry Higgings and Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.

They totally wanted to get it on.

Too bad there isn’t a cash prize, Mahaloth; you’re surely be the winner.

But what about Angel and Wesley? I’d say Angel and Spike, but apparently they were intimate, that one time.

Batman & Robin
Professor & Mary Ann
OR
Professor & Ginger

Well, this is getting gayer & gayer–not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Angel & Wesley, I don’t see. There was loyalty, sure, but not even as much affection and rapport as Angel had with Doyle, much less Cordelia–and that’s either before or after Wesley kidnapped Connor.

And Angel & SPIKE? Please. Even post-ensoulment they could just barely stand one another, at best.

Coppola the younger has said (I believe; it might have been Murray) “that’s a secret between lovers”. But the rumor is that he says:

“I would have liked to get to know you better.”

I can’t remember now where I first read it, but the rumor’s been going around for some reason. I think there was some talk about it in Answer Man on Ebert’s site, but it’s not loading for me at the moment.

Dorothy and the lion. Or the tin man. (electro-mechanically of course)

He doesn’t whisper anything to her that you can discern; it’s meant to be that way. Murray didn’t even have a line there. There’s no answer to the question of “what did he whisper?”

The idea (according to unsubstantiated rumor) is that Murray supplied a line where the script had none, possibly on advice from Coppola. Only two or three people know for sure, but it is not correct to say there is “no answer”. It is correct to say that the answer was deliberately concealed for the sake of the art. Even if Murray whispered nothing, the character certainly did, so again there is an answer, though it is unknown.

But I’m hijacking and I haven’t even addressed the OP. NOTE: Stop reading here if you haven’t seen a movie since 1978 and don’t want to be extremely vaguely spoilered. In Dark City, John and Emma/Anna might count; they only actually begin a relationship at the film’s end. This is also true in Strange Days.

Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. No question. They love each other, they respect each other, they live their lives at a very high moral standard, and he dies telling her he loves her, rather than going to Buddhist heaven. Nothing else comes close.

I doubt that Sherlock Holmes ever got it on with Irene Adler. I bet Holmes would have been great in bed (although undoubtedly he would have smoked afterwards).