Best pro-drug message in rock

Also exclude the Eric Clapton song.

About 3/5’s of all Steely Dan songs. About 1/5 are anti-drug, and the rest are entirely some intellectual wankfest (entirely, as opposed to the rest of the oeurve which is only partially an intellectual wankfest ;))

But add “Bales of Cocaine” by Reverend Horton Heat.

Asleep at the Wheel “Am I High”.

I can’t find lyrics, seems like The Bloodhound Gang has a song titled “Asleep at the Wheel” and that’s swamping the search.

“Am I high?
My mouth’s so dry
I just laugh until I cry, lord
Am I high?”

Rick Derringer’s Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo has the line:

“gettin high all the time, hope you all are too”

I dunno if it’s a pro- or anti-drug song, but Lou Reed’s performance of “Heroin” on *Rock n’ Roll Animal * is THE drug song of all time.

For best pro-drug song, I second DtC’s nomination of “White Rabbit.”

For best anti-drug song, I’ll stick with Steppenwolf’s “Snow Blind Friend” already mentioned in another thread.

Funny thing you should start this thread; all during my lunch hour, for some reason, I was singing:

The Cuervo Gold,
the fine Columbian,
make tonight a wonderful thing . . .

by, of course, Steely Dan

Great choice, but I think it ties for the “Best Rock-Bluegrass Fusion Dope Song” crown with “Henry” by New Riders of the Purple Sage.

OK, this is not without interest.

From Wikipedia:

From this source the songwriter JJ Cale has this to say about the song:

It would seem the song is neither for nor against cocaine. It is just a song about cocaine.

I believe that it was just a song about cocaine when it was written, but clearly Clapton’s intent was for it to be an anti-drug song, therefore his version doesn’t belong in this thread.

One pill makes you larger,
and one pill makes you small,
and the ones that mother gives you don’t do anything at all.

:slight_smile: Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit. For the uninitiated.

He intended the song to be neither for or against heroin. It’s more observational. It’s worth noting that Lou Reed wrote that song when he was in college; he didn’t ever use heroin until later.

Nowhere near the best “song” on the subject, but I’ve always been amazed by Green Velvet’s La La Land

Something 'bout those little pills, unreal, the thrill, they yield, until, they kill, a mill-ion brain cells.

I think I’d choose Steely Dan - Time Out Of Mind for a favorite, though.

Although Quinn the Eskimo by Bob Dylan is supposed to be just about a character in a movie he saw, I still think it is about heroin, and a very positive song about heroin. I mean, come on:

“I like to go just like the rest, I like my sugar sweet.”

Not to mention the lyrics are the kind of connections only someone high on something would come up with.

Rush, “A Passage to Bangkok”. There’s quite a few drugs sampled in that song.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is a great advert for LSD.

No, “Acid Commercial” by Country Joe and the Fish is a great advert for LSD. Eat flowers and kiss babies…

Styx had one of the best opening numbers for concerts of any group.

Light up, everybody
Join us in this celebration
Light up and be happy
Sweet, sweet sounds will fill the air

By the time this song ended the arena was full of smoke.

Not intentionally. Rent a video of Imagine.

Another vote for White Rabbit.
It is rumored that when in her cups, Grace Slick tried to reach through a fan’s nose and pull out his brain.
Wow.