Best Rock Instrumentals

One of These Days - Pink Floyd

I love The Atom Heart Mother Suite, but it’s a bit too weird for most folks to call the best.

Metallica - Orion
Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner
Randy Rhoads - Dee
Rush - YYZ and 2112 Overture

I would also like to mention “Sparks” and “Underture”, from Tommy.

Tossing in “Talybont” by Gentle Giant and “Kashmir” (The Led Zep song) by The Ordinaires.

This always reminds me of the passage in High Fidelity where he is inspecting the album collection of some girl he has been set up with:

<<So I wander over to the shelf, and turn my head to one side and squint, and sure enough, it’s a disaster area, the sort of CD collection that is so poisonously awful that it should be put in a steel case and shipped off to some Third World waste dump. They’re all there: Tina Turner, Billy Joel, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Simply Red, the Beatles, of course, Mike Oldfield (*Tubular Bells I *and II), Meat Loaf…I don’t have much time to examine the vinyl, but I see a couple of Eagles records, and I catch a glimpse of what looks suspiciously like a Barbara Dickson album.>>
[I adore Meat Loaf so I think he’s a big fat snob. :p]

What’s wrong with Pink Floyd and the Beatles?

These are the kinds of music snobs that bug me. They’re music snobs who don’t actually understand anything about music. It’s just about posturing and fashion. They’re the kind of guys who become music critics, and then praise the Knack as a revolution in music while dismissing Led Zeppelin as “druggie music.”

Not to mention Kate Bush. How big of a snob do you have to be to look down on Kate Bush? Peter Gabriel seems to think she’s OK…

That did seem like an odd collection of artists to use as examples of an awful music collection. I mean, if it had been something like “Heart, Foreigner, Kansas, Journey, Styx, Boston, .38 Special…”, it would at least sound like the sort of thing a snob would despise.