Best sitcom ever (revised)

Waiting for God, BBC, 90-94.

If you are of a certain age <ahem!> it is hilarious.

I won’t ask you to believe it, but with the exception of South Park and The Honeymooners, I watched many many episodes of the other shows in the list, and yes, I think Arrested Development is the best ever based on the cleverness and quantity of jokes in the writing.

South Park. Hands down.

That one gets my vote.

Gotta go with CHEERS, if only for the sheer depth of support; the whole ensemble excelled at setting the other guy up to shine.

Sam and Diane were great for will-they-or-won’t-they stuff, but the real joy was how she’d perfectly deliver lines he could regular-guy to get the last word (and how, in the next scene, he’d lunkheadedly keep talking himself into a situation where she could fire off the perfect comeback) – sure as Cliff was the Platonic ideal of a know-it-all ripe to get shot down with a witty remark, so that even a plainspoken one can bring down the house – since, the rest of the time, Norm’s world-weary deadpan is only at its best when playing off the enthusiasm of Woody or Coach or whoever – sure as Carla is only really funny when she’s cutting someone pretentious down to size: Diane or Cliff, or Frasier or Lilith; there was never any shortage of people who could make themselves perfect targets.

And, as all that snarking implies, it was IMHO already the no-hugs stuff folks loved in Seinfeld – but with extra straight-man-to-wise-guy, everywhere you looked.

Futurama

Other-Fawlty Towers and The Andy Griffith Show