Best songs of heartbreak-- cover versions.

As I have mentioned before, Al Green’s version of How Can You Mend A Broken Heart cranks the misery up a few notches from the Bee Gee’s version. While Joe Cocker’s version of Ain’t No Sunshine is more detached and weary. Also included in cover versions of songs for the brokenhearted is The Jackson 5’s version of Whose Loving You. It is a cover of The Miracle’s Going To A Go-Go B-side.

Two more and that’s it–Joan Osborne’s What Becomes of the Broken Hearted and Me’Shell Ndegoodlordcantspellit’s version of Who Is He (And What Is He To You). Me’shell’s version is less heartbroken and more angry.

What else can I add to this playlist? Links not mandatory but greatly appreciated.

Think Kesha is all about Jack Daniel’s, glitter, and autotune? Check out her cover of Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right. It has very minimal instrumentation, and it was recorded in one take with no rehearsing.

I’m pleasantly surprised, that’s definitely going on the play list.

I like William Fitzsimmons’ cover of Kanye West’s “Heartless.”

I would think that anyone covering songs from Adele’s 21 would fit this thread, but this one is a bit off-kilter from the original:

Linkin Park covering Rolling in the Deep

I like most of his covers. I Kissed A Girl is great.

It isn’t off-kilter at all. I think the songs spareness and soulfulness will sound work with anyone who can sing. It did show that the lead singer of Linkin Park has some chops.
One day I will master the double quoting mechanism. One day.

My bad, I meant to say it was off-kilter for the typical Linkin Park song/sound/dynamics… You are correct, though, this is a very good cover that is true to the original version