Best way to transfer computer artwork to a painting canvas?

what’s a good way to print out artwork on a computer and use some sort of transfer method to get it on other materials (canvas, wood, cardboard, etc.)?

• No offense, but this is what print shops do all day long. Call up any nearby one and say what you are wanting to do, and ask what ways it can be done and what it will cost. They may not be able to do exactly what you want, but if they can’t they will likely know somewhere that can.
        ~

They sell canvas that is able to be loaded into printers.

See here: http://www.mcgpaper.com/artcaninpap.html

You might also want to explore giclee prints.

I’m waiting for a high resolution, CMYK version of the Pixelroller. :smiley:

Straight answer: Good old-fashioned silkscreen.

anyone have an opinion about those iron-on t-shirt dealys you can print from your computer?

bump! (sorry)

If you want an actual painting - a large one, you could use something like the method I do to make murals, stage backdrops, props and scenery items - use a video projector to throw the image onto the surface to be painted (or print the image on a transparency and project it with an overhead projector), trace the outlines and details with a pencil, then turn off the projector and paint the rest in by hand, keeping a full-colour printed copy of the page handy for reference.

they’re great if you need a cheap iron-on that you intend to use only once or twice. otherwise, they’re shite.

But I’m not going to be washing the painting canvas… so other than that, they’re fine for my purpose?

well, for starters i’m not sure they’ll even transfer to canvas - and even if they do, the quality isn’t great. i wouldn’t lean towards using it for a painting.

I think the T-shirt transfers would be worth a shot. I used them once to print images on material to use in a flag.

I used to work in a large-scale printing / poster shop. We handled this kind of job often.

So you’ve got your artwork on your computer, and you want to get it onto canvas, wood, or cardboard. OK … so let’s talk specifics:

*-- How large is your artwork in pixels (given as two numbers: e.g., 2000 x 5400 pixels).

– What is the size of the final medium?*

We just want to be sure that your art got sufficient resolution to look good at the size of the final medium. Let’s assume that it is. We can now go over your media options:

CanvasDarkSideoftheFloyd is correct. You can run canvas through many types of large-scale printers (even some of the smaller versions if you aren’t getting a huge banner or something).

Wood – methods are pretty varied … a lot depends on the durability you need (indoor or outdoor use, long or short term use, handling, etc.). The cheapest way is to print, on plain paper, a color copy of your art (on a conventional color laser printer for small stuff, on a poster/banner printer for big stuff), then spray-mount the color print onto the wood. This can be laminated, if neccessary. There are also better stocks available than just plain paper – glossy paper, canvas, and Tyvek (highly tear-resistant).

Cardboard – pretty much the same way as wood (see above). Stiff cardboard backing is available at most any poster shop. There are also other lightweight media options that may obviate the use of cardboard, such as FoamCor and GatorBoard (think “white foam board” in varying colors and thicknesses).