Better Call Saul 1.07 "Bingo" 3/16/2015

So. Again, he’s allowed to accept a payment in cash. The Kettlemen’s probably had $30,000 before they even started stealing the money. It seems like the less wise thing would be to tell your lawyer you paid him with stolen money. If (especially after services have been rendered) he was forced to turn over the money, he’s going to sue you to recover what you owe him.
Since they only had to pay back what they stole, this isn’t going to bankrupt them, their best bet would be (would have been) to just put their own 30k back in the pot (if they took the deal).
Actually, their best bet would be to say they sent $100 to 300 different charities, anonymously.
Something like that, I haven’t thought it through, just that they did something untraceable with it.

Its not any repeat business that they can bring. It the fact that its a high profile case and for a youngish lawyer like the blonde chick, if she can get a deal like the one she got, that can really get you noticed and get clients coming to your door.

Look at the guy who git Casey Antony off. He did not make any money (IIRC) off her case, but lots of business resulted out of it.

Which makes Jimmy/Saul’s predicament so unrealistic. He gets good regular work defending. He is appearing regularly in Courts and has had some victories against the run of play. He should be more successful that portrayed.

Do you know any defense attorneys? He’s defending low-level criminals. What level of success should he be at?

Yeah, he’s about on par with most low-level defense lawyers I know.

And a high-profile criminal case really only gets you publicity if you go to trial. Doing a backroom plea deal doesn’t get you the kind of publicity that would justify treating this case as though it were a career-maker.

Yes actually. Being one myself (partially). Even if he is defending low level types, thats a pretty good way to move up.Being at there does not mean you will stay there, especially if you are getting regular work.

There is publicity outside in the press and media, and getting noticed within the bar. In the latter senario, even if a case is something that does not garner media attention, it is something insiders will be aware off, which is what I meant by high profile. The bar is not stupid and people do notice that XYZ managed to get a deal, or a settlement, despite being up against it and that is something the people within the bar and those they interact with, like in house legal departments of large companies and other clients talk about.

I feel like we were cheated out of a scene where Saul had to feel out Mike to figure out if he could do the sort of infiltration job he carried out. It’s not exactly the sort of favor you could just take for granted in their relationship. This is if it even occurs to Saul that Mike is a badass ninja, or, for that matter, if Mike has yet decided he’s a badass ninja that’s going to do dirty jobs. All of that happened in an instant off-screen and it didn’t feel earned or established.

Is that a lawyer thing? I’m aware of certain requirements within the banking system but didn’t know that about normal transactions between people…assuming lawyers are normal.

Why is it that Mrs K made a big deal about the $30k that Jimmy took but that he didn’t mention putting it back to her? Instead he warned her of being part of a bribe if that’s what she wanted to call it.

I thought the same thing. I’m guessing something was shot but ended up on the cutting room floor due to time or something.

If he were called on to defend that he accepted $30K cash (“/shrug/ whats the problem?” as posted upthread) as payment, he should be able to prove that he reported this income. If not, he’d probably open up a can of worms he probably didn’t want or need opened.

@ SenorBeef&cmyk

Mike said “so this makes us even” so I assumed he did the favour in exchange for Saul’s lawyering.

Maybe [del]Saul[/del] Jimmy called Mike and asked him for advice about where the Kettlemans might be hiding the cash, and Mike offered to find/pinch it in return for Jimmy waiving his fee. That’s not so hard to imagine, is it? Not everything needs to be spelled out onscreen, and that scenario is hardy a fanwank.

Yep, I caught that. Still couldn’t help but feel like there should’ve been another scene there, only because it caused me to stop myself from watching for a second to process what must’ve happened.

Wouldn’t shock me if we got a flashback to the presumed Jimmy/Mike scene at some point in the future, although I agree it was a bit odd.

Very very enjoyable episode, with the MVPs being the Kettlemans. What a hilarious couple, they play off each other so well.

Sorry, I botched that. I was thinking about

The law license he has in the name of Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad. (spoiler because it’s info from another show)

It’s the transition that will be mighty peculiar. It might not be if he was new in the city or completely unknown.

I saw this on another message board, but in Breaking Bad… did Saul Mention having an ex wife, or a second ex wife?

Eh. I Googled it:

“I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad. OK? It’s a cruel world Walt. Grow up.”

Sounds like something he just made up.

Gillian mentions in one of the podcasts how much of a blessing and yet a curse it is at times for lines like those from Breaking Bad. (Paraphrasing) Sometimes it offered them a creative chance to now fill in those details, and other times they’re smacking themselves because those were mostly just throw away lines, never meant to get anything but a mention for that scene. So now they have to figure out ways to make it work.

Myself, I cut them some slack for stuff like that. They didn’t expect to be doing a whole spinoff series on Saul, otherwise I’m sure they would’ve been more careful.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. If they wrote Saul’s character in BB with a spinoff in mind, I feel like it would have been a disservice to Breaking Bad.

Now they have all the time in the world to reconcile the two versions of the character. If they even feel it’s necessary. Saul talks a lot. It’s part of his personality. He talks to make himself look good, he talks to illustrate a point, he talks to break the silence. I doubt most of what he says is 100% true. So if his character in BCS doesn’t religiously follow what he said off the cuff to Walter White once, I would just chalk it up to Saul being Saul. He likes telling parables.

“I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it!” Do you think that was an honest retelling of something that actually happened to Saul? Or just a way to make Walt see that lying isn’t that hard at a time when he needed Walt to lie? I suspect the “second wife screwed my stepdad” was the same deal. Maybe he was married, twice. Maybe not. The writers of Better Call Saul can decide that for themselves if it ever comes up in the series.

Any theories on what was in those file boxes he dropped off for Chuck to snoop through?