Better Call Saul 1.08 "Rico" 3/23/15

I thought she was leaving it to someone in her will.

Huh, I thought everyone old enough to remember Laverne & Shirley knew it was the same actor. He was good recently BTW in the relatively little-seen HBO show Family Tree, in which he played a Brit–pretty effectively to these American ears.

He’s had lots of practice, y’know with Spinal Tap and HBO’s Dream On (wait… he might have been playing Australian on that one)

Michael McKean even did a short stint on SNL in the 90s.

Mrs. Plant (v.3.0) caught it and showed me pictures on the web. I never have watched comedy TV programs. :slight_smile:

Yes, I don’t think people should keep expecting him to “break bad” since that’s not how he was portrayed in Breaking Bad. He was just a criminal defense lawyer who stumbled into his most lucrative clients and wasn’t actively trying to become a criminal himself.

Yeah I never saw him as Evil. Pragmatic and selfish. But not Evil.

Oh my god. I can’t believe I missed that.

How much older is Chuck supposed to be? I would have thought they had different mothers, but the one with the prison flashback suggest that they have the same mother.

Jumping in to say that I also very much enjoyed McKean’s recurring role on the X-Files as the ironically skeptical official at Area 51. I wonder if he’ll get a chance to reprise that role in the upcoming series?

I love his character on BCS. I noticed in this episode I was getting more and more anxious the more it looked like things were looking up for Chuck and Jimmy. That other shoe is gonna drop hard, methinks.

My eldest brother was 15 years older than me. He was born in 1950, me in 1965. Same mother and father. It’s really not that unusual.

The first time we see Saul in Breaking Bad - S2, E8 - was when Walt and Jesse went to the strip mall office to hire a “criminal” lawyer for Badger. Saul kicked Walt out for offering a $10,000 bribe. That night Jesse and Walt kidnapped Saul and drove him out into the desert next to a fresh grave. Jesse told Saul he shoulda taken the $10,000, and Saul said he didn’t take bribes from strangers. As Jesse holds a gun to his head, Saul tells them both to put a dollar in his pocket - so they’d be protected by attorney-client privilege.

Okay, there’s legal and aboveboard Saul.

Jesse threatens that anyone who snitches to the DEA will end up dead. Saul asked why didn’t they just kill Badger. Jesse said that’s not an option.

Kind of evil in a way …

I don’t get the RICO part. So what if the company orders stuff from out of state? It would be pretty hard to for any non-trivial business not to. That doesn’t make every fraud case a federal RICO matter. At the very least, the company they are ordering from would have to be in on the conspiracy. The other lawyers would laugh themselves silly at the suggestion of RICO based on an ordinary billing slip.

People don’t recognize and know Micheal McKean? Amazing. So many, many roles. One early favorite: the evil boss in Dream On.

He and David “Squiggy” Lander did stand up together, complete with “Lenny and The Squigtones” musical bits. They also appeared together in other things such as Used Cars. Alas, David has MS and is not as active as he used to be. But he is a scout for the Angels.

They probably meant “Alpine Shepherd Boy-o” and it was a typo somehow.

There was me quite pleased with myself for spotting instantly that Chuck had been in Spinal Tap, but I’ve never made the extra connection to Laverne & Shirley - and I had enjoyed that show, way back when.

I didn’t know the Hells Angels used scouts. Amazing!

I think the RICO thing was just about the fact that certain kinds of fraud cases are open to much bigger damages. But it depends on several other things and so it is not as big a deal. Specifically, the company has to be making enough money to make the law suit feasible and attractive.

P.S. I was just kidding about the Hells Angels. I’m guessing you meant the California Angels.

I think they should have called the ep “Gelatin-based Dessert” or something of the like.

I also remember a few suggested “trips to Belize”

She thought that’s where it came from, but Mike told her his son was clean. The money actually came from Mike himself.

No, it didn’t. Mike convinced his son to take the money. The kid was clean… until Mike flipped him to the dark side.

And they killed him anyway.

I’m unsure about that. She found the money after Mike left, not when Matt died. And Mike’s whole story line, ended in Breaking Bad, beginning here, is that he works for criminals in order to give money to his granddaughter. So I can see that being his first attempt. But I don’t think we’ve been explicitly told whose money that was yet. It could have been Matty’s. It could have belonged to the two crooked cops Mike killed. Or it could have been Mike’s crooked savings from the force.

Mike told her his son took the money. Why would he say that if it wasn’t true?