Better Call Saul 1.08 "Rico" 3/23/15

Not if Kim breaks bad. They need to keep her in the story line for a while. We know Mike can’t get killed, nor Jimmy, but Kim and Chuck may be getting the chop eventually.

First two seasons are streaming on Netflix!

That was a good scene, with Mike’s DIL and the money. It’s a bit blink and you’ll miss it, but it shows how short the road to the dark side can be. At least in her case, I don’t it’s very long at all. Although maybe you don’t always know that you’re on the dark side.

About Saul: I don’t think Saul on BB is evil, but he is an amoral pragmatist. As strange as it sounds, considering who we’re talking about here, Saul’s most important job on BB was always to be the only sane man. Everyone else always has some justification for what they’re doing. It’s for the family, for cosmic justice, for whatever. Saul doesn’t bother with that, it’s just not in his mental makeup. He’s more clear-sighted about the world of crime than anyone else on the show.

Which, I suppose, is one reason why I still don’t buy Jimmy becoming Saul. I don’t really see that with Jimmy, although he does have some of it, like his “who the hell am I really kidding” moment when he tries to justify the bribe from the Kettlemans in his records. I suppose I’m not sure if that’s a kind of person you become, rather than just who you are.

I dunno. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Too late for edit: I guess what I mean is that, on BB, no one seems less in need of an “explanation” or an “origin story” than Saul. Sure, his name is fake and his law business is a sham. But at the end of the day, no one is more no-nonsense than Saul.

It’s interesting how the many facets of Jimmy speak to a lot of us in different ways… we have different impressions of him.

I like early Jimmy and think he has good intentions, but his whole life seems to be one major disappointment after another.

I keep remembering that corner office scene in “Bingo” - Jimmy kicks the closed door, flops down on the floor, almost crying because Kim doesn’t share his dream of work and a life together.

He realizes that she doesn’t feel the same way about him … a devastating moment. Yet, he goes on to do the right thing to help her - his risky scheme to have Mike get the money from the Kettlemans and return them to her as clients, restoring her position at HHM.

Then that pr*ck Hamlin went on TV and took credit for it … but that’s another post.

The women I talk to love Jimmy, how caring he is, and how well he treats women. But he’s also flawed. He longs to connect with Kim and his brother … but just can’t quite get there, partly because of his own flaws (insecure, scrappy, rough around the edges, fast-talking side-show barker with the instincts of a con-man), and partly because the people around him are trapped by their own problems, and can’t see Jimmy in his full humanity. Or love him for who he is …they always expect more.

I like the way he treated the Hummel lady in “Alpine Shepherd Boy,” so patient as she slowly rode the stair chair …and then the interminable Tim Conway shuffle. Though he looked at his watch, he was nice to her … even play-flirted back with her - “You do a DNR and I’ll bring the pineapple and the blender” – and he was very careful to make sure the Tow-Headed Twins went to the right family member.

We also see Jimmy’s ethical side when he gave the Sandpiper woman his services for a discounted price due to her financial issues … and I liked how he came back and knocked on the door to ask her about her “allowance” … which sounded fishy to him.

I may have him on too high a pedestal, because in a Rolling Stone interview Bob Odenkirk said Jimmy is an earnest, sweet guy whose brain naturally cooks up dishonest solutions to the challenges in front of him.

And another thing …

From ‘reading around’ a lot of people wonder if Chuck is really the superhero that Jimmy thinks. When Jimmy found the snag in the nursing home papers, Chuck seemed almost jealous for a second. And when Jimmy shared with Kim that Chuck was partnering with him on the case, she didn’t seem glad, she seemed sort of worried.

What does she know? What if Chuck can’t stand having anyone - even his brother - “compete” in his territory? Maybe it will be Chuck who will betray Jimmy, take Sandpiper away from him, and start Jimmy’s downfall to become Saul.

Just sayin’ … and what if it was Chuck’s idea not to hire Jimmy, and he sent Hamlin to tell him … in the middle of his cake celebration. Dang, what a perfect scene that was…

All of the possibilities you mention could be true but I don’t see the evidence that is mentioned in the first part of your post… the nursing home attorney seemed to think he was a rock star although he could have been blowing smoke up his ass. The “jealous” looks could have been Chuck remembering the good old days when he wasn’t sick and Kim’s concern is warranted based on Chuck’s sickness even if he was a rock star at one time.

Thank you ever so much.

One of the biggest reasons I read this forum is to discover shows that are not very commonly known. I will check it out too and I’m very happy to have made this discovery. Thank you both very much.

Maybe some day we can start a thread devoted to lesser-known TV shows and movies that are nonetheless excellent.

I was going to list two of them here and now but decided it was just too far “off topic”. Sorry. But if anyone is interested, just send me a PM and I’ll reply.

I think you make some very good points, but I never saw any evidence that his law business was a sham.