Better Call Saul 2.05 "Rebecca" 3/14/16

Certainly not now while he is in hiding.

Kim was a fling who he thought he had something with but his brother turned her against him or something like that. Whatever the exact situation turns out to be, I’m sure that by the time he’s making Cinnabons Kim is ancient history that was fun at the time, not The Love of His Life.

He says in one ep of Breaking Bad that he caught his second ex-wife with his stepdad. Maybe he has two marriages before BB begins but stepdad? Somehow that doesn’t feel like a Jimmy storyline. There’s going to be some discrepancies between the two shows…

I’m 100% Certain about his name and the Kevin Costner thing too. I doubt it would be too hard to find out if Saul mentioned his brother on ‘Breaking Bad’ or not.

Probably not.

I don’t know about her not being ‘the love of his life’. She seemingly inspired him to pursue law. If she’s not the ‘love of his life’, she may be the closest anyone will ever get.

I romanticize romance though. I always think it’s a character’s ultimate motivator, that trumps all else.

So… I can see why Saul is him at the top of his game.

You’re right. As I’ve mentioned on past BCS boards I’ve been re-watching BB on Sundance every Wednesday. There’s a scene in Season 4 (forget which EP) where Saul’s driving Walt to the Lazar Tag place and discussing which would be a better place to launder the money. It or the Car Wash Skyler wants them to buy. Saul tells Walt that he once convinced a woman that he was Kevin Costner.

In “Hermanos”, later that season, Saul is at Andrea’s new house delivering her money from Jesse. He’s talking to Brock about his new school and tells about a girl he had a crush on in the 5th grade. But before he realized that she liked him to, her family had moved away to Scottsdale. “Carpe diem!”

“The Kim Wexler Filler Hour”

Did we learn his first name in BB? All I can find is:
Saul: Mayhew. Is that Irish or English?

Walter: Irish.

Saul: Faith and begorrah! A fellow potato eater! My real name’s McGill. The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak.”

When he’s going over money laundering fronts with Walt he shows him the Asian nail salon. I wonder if that’s the same place as his office in season 1.

(BTW, tried cucumber water recently because of this show: it’s pretty refreshing, and not “just for customers”.)

While I recognize that she was right on the Beanie Baby being a bribe, I wanted to slap her. If you can find out what inexpensive gift or service a clerk/secretary/admin/etc. who has the power to cut through red tapes and move things around likes that will get her on your side, USE IT EVERY TIME. It’s a venial sin at most and can help justify your ridiculous fees. (In academia you quickly learn that the secretaries rule the school.)(

And when she was insisting on going over her revisions now and wouldn’t take no for an answer I thought he was within his rights to ditch her. Make an appointment, boo. Flimsy footing over the commercial at the moment or not, Jimmy’s brought in a multimillion dollar class action lawsuit; he might not be a made man at the moment, but he’s earned his keep and is entitled to respect. Her points might be valid, but don’t talk to him like he works for you.

Anyone catch the real phone number on the bench during the “opening credits” where you get the music sting and it says “Better call Saul”?

What is Kim doing in the basement with all the files? Is she reviewing the files for payments or something else? And all of those people she was calling, was she trying to find more clients for the firm hoping to get out of the room?

Seems to me that the father might have been a good man, but he allowed people to take advantage of him, hence the money that was lost. I think Chuck just thinks Jimmy was taking the money when I think the dad was allowing people to just take small things here and there. I don’t really see Jimmy taking money, doesn’t seem like him and Chuck just wants to blame him for lots of things.

I interpreted that scene as her having been tasked with correcting his stuff on the down-low so his ineptitude at certain aspects of the job could be obscured. Someone was trying to save him from presenting sloppy work and/ or having to be corrected in front of colleagues. He clearly didn’t even understand why Erin’s corrections were important. The scene showed us yet another reason why he will inevitably fail.

I think you’re totally misreading. She was tasked by the partners with managing him and babysitting him so he doesn’t do anything that displeases them. They want things done their way whether or not Jimmy’s way works, as evidenced by the reaction to the commercial. It has nothing to do with his ability or results, only with the way the partners want the firm presented.

A perfect example is the two spaces after a period. That has zero impact on results and nothing to do with ineptitude, it’s just what the partners want. Virtually every style guide in recent years recommend one space. It’s a carryover from a previous time when two spaces was the standard, showing the partners’ attitude to nonconformists. Jimmy isn’t a conventional lawyer, at least in their view. It’s not about his ability to be successful.

Here you go: Doc Review

(I had to look it up myself)

And yes, Kim, figured bagging a big client would get her out of the doghouse, but Howard has decided to be a massive prick after all.

I may have missed something, but it doesn’t seem like Chuck ever confronted Jimmy about the missing money, and it’s not clear how he was so sure that Jimmy took it, except that Jimmy had access to it. I imagine the audience is getting set up for a twist on the storyline later on.

News Alert: AMC just renewed the show for a third season.

True dat. Two spaces comes from the time of mono-spaced typewriters, like Courier font. That went out the window shortly after word processors with variable width characters on computers came along.

I loved seeing Jimmy getting to return back to his old stomping grounds at the courthouse, even if for only a little while. I’m pretty biased because I’m in criminal law myself, but for me there was a stark contrast between his conversation with the DA (which seemed very honest, even too honest) and the stilted meeting between Hamlin/Kim and the new clients (in which everyone seemed very rehearsed in how they tried to connect with each other). Seems pretty obvious to me that part of the reason Jimmy slides back into criminal defense is to escape the buttoned-up suit culture and get back in the Wild West where he can wheel and deal.

Good post. It was unclear to me who muttered, “Lucky bastard!” when the guy walked out the shithouse door. Was it the DA, or Jimmy? :wink:

And while I’m speculating: Was Chuck pulling on his ear (The Bail Signal) when he was fetching the desert? (My TV is all kind of fucked up and very dark. Couldn’t really see. Also why I was unable to correctly identify the New KFC dude ‘cant spell the other word’ as Jim Gaffigan)

Definitely an ear pull, though to no avail, as Rebecca was quite charmed by Jimmy. And I think it was DA guy that said “lucky bastard.” His mouth seemed closer to the mic, although Jimmy had that longing look for adventure, didn’t he?

Howard has still to make up his mind about Kim’s future. He told as much to Chuck later in the episode.