Bible mentions Earth as a ring.

Full article here: http://ow.ly/u1xPa

Esaias 40: 22 It is he that comprehends the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants in it are as grasshoppers; he that set up the heaven as a chamber, and stretched it out as a tent to dwell in.

Septuagint: ὁ κατέχων τὸν γῦρον τῆς γῆς καὶ οἱ ἐνοικοῦντες ἐν αὐτῇ ὡς ἀκρίδες ὁ στήσας ὡς καμάραν τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ διατείνας ὡς σκηνὴν κατοικεῖν

The word γῦρον (circle) is a variant of the word γύρος. The etymology of this word means a circle, rim, perimeter that encompasses something that is inside.

The term γύρος occurs in the Bible three times.

The bible says a lot of things that are wrong.

What’s your point?

Read the article first. Can’t you do even that ?

Uh… being Esaias, Greek is not the original language; the Septuagint is as second-hand as the modern-day translations in my house. Why are you translating “ring” in the OP’s title instead of “circle” or “round thing”, and why are you or the original writer (assuming you’re not the same person) emphasizing “rim” in the main text?

I’m trying to be courteous to the newcomer, but excuse me while I keep searching for a reason to be impressed.

Read a science book. Can’t you do even that?

Question for you too: Did you read the article ? You prove you did not.

Hey, karol, I notice you’re fond of Polish sources of information. Here’s a good one.

YOU quoted the Greek, and the parts you quoted directly refer to the Greek.

Happy travels.

OK. I read the article. I’ll repeat the point of the second post: the bible says lots of stuff that is incorrect. What would you like to discuss?

The term you repeat unconditionally thinking that you’re such a rationalist.

So, **karol, ** are you saying the Bible IS accurate, since a circle, ring or round thing reminds you of the Earth’s globular shape?

Or that the Bible is IN-accurate because it doesn’t describe the Earth as a 3-dimensional, spherical object?

Pick your battles, and let’s proceed.

Huh? Are you asking me a question? What are we supposed to discuss here?

If it’s the shape of the earth, then we know it’s roughly spheroid. We’ve taken pictures, from orbit and from the moon, in addition to tons of other evidence (like the shadow that the earth casts on the moon during a lunar eclipse).

read the article - the bible gets many things wrong and/or trying to take the authors words as literal is a mistake made by modern readers.

Clearly the earth is NOT a ring or rim as described in the bible - what is your point?

You say “rationalist” like it’s a bad thing:

Rationalist (noun) - someone who emphasizes observable facts and excludes metaphysical speculation about origins or ultimate causes; nonreligious person - a person who does not manifest devotion to a deity; logical positivist - someone who maintains that any statement that cannot be verified empirically is meaningless

Got any theories that have been verified empirically?

karol - either stake out a position, state it clearly and request discussion or shut up and go away. You are wasting electrons with your current posting practices.

Ok.

Is there anything you’d like to discuss about this, since you’ve invited us into a conversation with you?

The assertion not quite being made here is that the earth is a hollow circular thing and we live on the concave interior of it.

i.e. fucknuttian astronomy.

Wow, you’re the brainy.

Oh! Thank you for clearing up the OPs point. I was truly lost what the OP was trying to discuss.

Yes, and that’s a good thing!

The need of explaining this proves you forgot your coffee or have some weak imagination :slight_smile: