Biblical question (Is racial separation ordered in bible?)

Why don’t you sit down with the minister and Mom next Sunday after Church services and get his take on this> It might be an education for Mom.

Of course, you might want to check with the minister to be sure that he is not a fan of Nave’s Topical Bible first.

Fionn writes:

> Their justification for this was “It’s in the Bible.” When pressed the next day,
> Mom admitted she didn’t know the chapter and verse, but that it was in there,
> and advised me to ask a minister.

It’s not your job to disprove what your mother said. It’s her job to prove her statement. She’s the one making the assertion, so she’s the one who has to prove it. Ask her to find the chapter and verse, or better yet just ignore her, since it appears that she’s not going to be convinced by anything you say.

There are some verses in the OT which have been used to justify antipathy to various sorts of inter-marriage. There are passages in the NT which make it clear that the New Covenant is universal, and that all races are as one to God. The second chapter of Ephesians is pretty much devoted to this theme. From the NIV:

14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

The whole chapter can be seen here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=56&chapter=2&version=31

Actually, I think she was Jewish… :stuck_out_tongue:

But with that name, Jesús was definitely Puerto Rican … :smiley:

The Bible does not prohibit race mixing. It does prohibit the Israelites from intermarrying with the surrounding nations, out of concern that they might be led away from the worship of YHVH, and into the worship of pagan gods, and thusly into such lovely practices as temple prostitution and child sacrifice. (OK, I know there are some Dopers who think temple prostitution would be a great idea, but I’m not one of them, and if you think that child sacrifice is a cool idea, well, I don’t think you’ll find many friends here on the SDMB, because most of us like children and even the pagans among us would find the idea of a god who had to be appeased by roasting your firstborn alive to be appalling and would go find someone else to worship instead.) The NT doesn’t strictly forbid religious intermarriage, but does have some stern warnings that it is a very bad idea.

Couldn’t you have just said, “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”? :slight_smile:

Did not Moses have a black wife, was catching some flack about it, asked the MAN . . who told every one involved to mind their own business and let Moses mind his. Kind of answered the question for me.

Actually, there’s nothing wrong with multi-colored clothing. And there’s nothing wrong with clothing of different blends either - as long as it’s not a wool-linen mixture.

To get back to the topic at hand: as others have told you, there is nothing about someone who is not-Jewish marrying outside their “race” (as long as it’s the human one).

Jews, on the other hand (from the Orthodox and Conservative POV), cannot marry outside their religion - but race plays no factor.

There are injunctions against full-born female Jews (as opposed to converts) marrying males descended from Ammon, Moab* and Egypt. However, as these groups are no longer identifiable today (today’s Egyptians are not necessarily the same as Egyptians in Biblical days) the matter is academic.

Zev Steinhardt

slight hijack:

When I was in highschool, I worked in a grocery store. One of the cashiers was hispanic, named Jesus. This lady cames in, sees his name tag, and flips out.

“I will not shop at a place that mocks Jesus!! Blasphemy!!!Children of the Devil!!”

Anyway, poor Jesus is trying to explain that this is his name. But the ninny was having none of that. So Jesus got a new nametag with his initials- JHC (kinda ironic, huh) If only people know that Jesus is Joshua in another language. Sigh

Anyway, I ahave never found anything to indicate that the Bible frowns on marrying someone of a different “race.” The advice was basically "Do not marry someone that wil tempt you to worship gods other than God.