Biden is reportedly considering nominating Pete Buttigieg, his former presidential opponent, to be ambassador to China

On the issue of an ambassador knowing the local language it is safe to say it is never a requirement. But it sure doesn’t hurt either.

If I were ever an ambassador to anywhere I’d make it a point to become at the very least lightly conversational in the local language. If there is more than one language in the country (which is true in China (Mandarin and Cantonese) then at least the language of the local government and/or city I was based in.

It can only help.

My impression is that PB is wicked smart. IF China is going to be a big focus, wouldn’t be a bad place to put someone smart. And - I don’t know - maybe his being gay is a “power” move? If anyone can pick up the language, I imagine he will.

So I’m not sure it is a terrible choice, but I’d prefer him any number of other places. He’s young. He doesn’t have to be groomed for 24.

I’ve already seen a sign in my neighborhood: “Harris/Buttigieg 2024”.

I need one. Maybe two, I have a big yard.

Usually US ambassadors to nice places like Australia are big political donors, rather than State Dept lifers. There will be consular officials to do all the routine inter-country business like visas, arranging trade delegations, spying and talking to locals in their own language. The ambassador’s particular role is to be the conduit for direct dialogue between leaders, so if they are like Arthur B Culvahouse Jr, a trusted friend of Trump or the next Prez, then that is all the better for being able to promote that access.

Buttigieg could reasonably advance and argue positions fairly close to Biden and Harris with the Chinese leadership and probably do it well. The US-China relationship will be one of the most globally critical in the coming decade, so it is good they are signalling high level commitment to it. He may learn Cantonese or Mandarin, but that will not be the language he uses in meetings.

Ambassadors are political appointments and usually figureheads that host receptions and introduce the dealmakers.

For China, I’d certainly like to see someone that spoke Mandarin fluently, had personal experience, knows the history well, goes deeper than the stereotypes in this thread, and has a few decades of watching the lightening fast metamorphous of the Chinese economy and society.

Mayor Pete may pick up languages quickly, but real fluency in conversation and especially written Chinese is generally not something one “picks up” or “masters” in a year or two.

BTW, China has at least dozens of local dialects that are mutually incomprehensible. Cantonese being only one (and within the Cantonese dialect there are probably a dozen or more sub-dialects that are mutually incomprehensible. Certainly to a mandarin only speaker).

You’re more than welcome to borrow Kevin Rudd for as long as you want.

The US ambassador to the European country where I live is well known to be a purely political appointment from the Trump admin, and a diplomatic dumbass who is kept in the functional corner unless/until he needs to host an official gathering of some sort. As an American, I have to visit the US embassy on a semi-regular basis for various ex-pat reasons (it’s the only place to find an American notary for executing official paperwork related to financial actions back in the States, for example), and I’ve gotten to know a few of the people on staff. They are all capable, professional, and personable, a credit to their country and their field of work. And when I ask them if they know the Ambassador and what they think of him, they immediately turn on the thin, blank smile and give empty, functional answers that tell you everything you need to know while saying nothing at all.

Re the OP, I agree with the idea that this potential appointment is specifically intended to give Buttigieg some experience and expertise in the foreign-policy area. His background as Midwest Mayor made this a huge hole in his CV (evident from his vague, book-learned statements on the topic during the campaign), and it’s an opportunity for him to fill that gap to improve his future political viability.

which is?

I seriously want two of those (assuming one would get stolen).

Why not just say you prefer to be vague instead of linking to a thread in which you say you prefer to be vague after several pages worth of posts?

This post is vague.

(I honestly can’t figure what you are responding to.)

Why, to be even more vague, of course!

I’d much rather see him in a more prominent public position. He’s the future Democratic centrist. I can’t imagine Biden is thinking he’ll do two terms. Given his current state, four years of the Presidency during the most challenging period since the civil war is gonna take its toll.

I’m wondering whether this is a deliberate attempt to keep Buttigieg down for 2024. He’d be a formidable opponent to either Biden or Harris, and a more prominent public position would catapult him into greater contention.

I like Pete, but I think part of the problem is what position do you give to someone who’s highest office to date is the mayor of the fourth largest city in Indiana? Overseeing a massive federal department might be too big a leap. A prominent ambassadorship does seem to make the most sense.

You must be joking. This guy knows which side his bread is buttered. There’s no way he’d mount a serious campaign against the incumbent in the next primary. Even if I accepted he’d be a serious threat.

It is to laugh. There is no %$#@! way Mayor Pete with no national experience could be a formidable opponent to a Democratic incumbent. His experience is Mayor of a small city. Before he has a shot he needs to show some solid experience.

So, Pete is free to run for senator or governor, or representative- no one is stopping him. Why didnt he run this year? Nine rep seats open, why not run?

This is actually a gift to him, giving him international experience.

That actually sounds to me like it could be an argument against him. We know that, when he has some level of interest in a culture, he learns their language. Given that, the fact that he hasn’t learned any Chinese language suggests that he hasn’t had any particular interest in Chinese culture.

Now, if you want to give him a prestigious ambassadorship where he can really put his language skills (both the ones he already knows and the ones he can potentially pick up) to use, why not make him ambassador to the UN?