Big Love 2/13 - "The Special Relationship"

I’ve decided that the only nice person on the show is Heather, that friend of Sarah’s.

Just a note in passing, since a few of us seemed confused about Lois’ health last week: Bill said she has “vascular dementia,” meaning it’s dementia caused by vascular problems like strokes (it can be a big one or many smaller ones, or it can have other causes). I don’t think it’s associated with herpes or STDs in any way. I also got the sense from that last scene that Lois had had a[another] stroke and might be nonverbal, but maybe I was overinterpreting it.

I’m not saying that Alby is an effective villain within the show. I’m saying that he is a memorable character. Therefore, a memorable villain, therefore a great villain. Yes, he may be totally incompetent. But he is distinctive. His personality and mannerisms are extremely memorable.

I’ll give you that. I think of a great villain as someone who gets something done with his evil, but Alby is definitely memorable. The boots were made for walkin’!

Alby is so malevolent, but he’s also so incredibly insecure, vulnerable, and neurotic, which is what makes his character so great.