Big Love 5/21 (spoilers)

Yeah Bill asked Don to take in the kids if he, Barb and Nickie died. I think that actually the best choice since, holy shit… Margene responisble for, what, 7 kids? Ben and Sarah are fine for the most part, however, Teeny, the twins, the newborn and the bun in her over all under Magie’s care? Whoa.

Speaking of the lead-in, which I love, I don’t get the theme song, in the context of polygamy and families being together forever.

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I’ll make you so sure about it

Does that even make sense?

I’m leaning more toward Ben being attracted to Margie then him being gay, though he isn’t written very well. Roman will get massively pissed that Rhonda ran away while under Bill’s care. She doesn’t have a clue how the real world works. I found it really creepy/funny when she refered to Sarah as grandaughter.

Well yes THAT doesn’t make sense… but the idea isn’t finished with that verse. And in this context I think the I may not always love you means I may not like you, get along with you, or I may actually hate you at different points BUT… I still need you.

They all need eachother but that doesn’t mean they always get a long and love each other.

Even better was the look on her face when Bill asked her in disgust: “If Roman told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?”

She got a look of horror as if to say “Oh dear, I hope he doesn’t tell me to jump off a bridge!”

hehheh.

I thought the lyrics to the title song meant, “I’ll love you as long as there are stars…” Kind of like the song from Camelot “If I ever leave you, it wouldn’t be in Springtime…” I also thought it was a reference to the deification / marriage in the afterlife.

Heather was telling Sarah about some agencies or support groups that exist specifically for helping girls in Rhonda’s situation – do those actually exist in Utah?

I’m sure they do.

Found a couple!

http://helpthechildbrides.com/

http://www.childbrides.org/

It will necessarily complicate the plot(s) that Sarah’s friend Heather is (1) a mainstream LDS Mormon and (2) daughter of a state trooper.

An interesting question just occurred tome… I’ve read Under the Banner of Heaven, and don’t remember it addressing this, but… ARE there any people who basically live like the Henricksons? A non-cultish non-compound-dwelling suburban middle class polygamist family?

What from the show seems particularly plausible or implausible?

For instance, the way they have alternating nights… I can see that being the only way to work it without everyone getting jealous. I can also see it not working at all. Hmmm. Are there any polygamist message boards where actual polygamists are discussing Big Love?
(Although I suppose discussing how to actually make polygamy work in real life might qualify under some of the SDMB rules against discussing illegal activities :slight_smile: )

This might be an HBO contract clause issue. Six Feet Under was much the same as have been some of the main Sopranos cast. I would shudder to think that all of these scenes were just written this way (if true - get new writers, quick)

When Barb and Bill were having their hotel room dates, she wasn’t wearing a bra. We’ve seen Nickie bra-less too. Not full boobage, but no bra straps showing.

[QUOTE=MaxTheVool]
An interesting question just occurred tome… I’ve read Under the Banner of Heaven, and don’t remember it addressing this, but… ARE there any people who basically live like the Henricksons? A non-cultish non-compound-dwelling suburban middle class polygamist family?

[QUOTE]

SOme of the stuff I’ve read indicates that polygamist frequently occupy all the units in a two or three family apartment buildings or townhouse. One of the things I find implausible is that the suburban compund hasn’t raised more eyebrows given the local awareness of polygamy.

The show is very much in line with most of what I’ve heard and read about polygamy. There are lots of sizable polygamist groups out there, many of them set up like the UEB ( I think there is an AUP and maybe a EAB). Some are fundamentalist like the UEB and and others are more “liberal”…their members wear modern clothes and don’t live together on compounds, and they don’t arrange marriages for women under 20. Members of these groups may comprise some suburban polygamists.

[QUOTE]
What from the show seems particularly plausible or implausible?

[QUOTE]

I think it’s implausible that they haven’t been outed yet, mostly… and that none of their “straight” associates and neighbors question why they don’t go to church and why they lost their temple recommends.

I’m still having a little trouble with Margene in general, I really don’t see her “backstory” working…I can’t picture Nicki and Barb meeting her and having her take care of their kids and still letting her in the family, I can’t believe Nicki and Bill would let her join them in marriage without any religious education or awareness…and face it, without the religious “principle” mumbo-jumbo to guide her she’s just an unwed mom screwing her next door neighbor, and that’s the kind of moral looseness Nicki and Barb (sorta) hate.

[QUOTE]
For instance, the way they have alternating nights… I can see that being the only way to work it without everyone getting jealous. I can also see it not working at all. Hmmm. Are there any polygamist message boards where actual polygamists are discussing Big Love?

[QUOTE]

They still follow most of the other Mormon rules so they are forbidden from watching it, I think.
(QUOTE]

Well, the cultish thing is open to some interpretation, but there used to be families like that, at least sort of. I went to school with a group of them back in the 60s and 70s.

At that time, there were definitely polygamists living fairly openly in the community. I knew personally a brother and sister in elementary school that lived just a few blocks down the street from us who were from a polygamist family.

And not in some out of the way, remote school and neighborhood, this was right in the heart of Salt Lake City. We all grew up and went to East High, which was where a lot of the “old money” in Salt Lake went, including the kids of former governors and senators. It was an open “secret” that they were part of a polygamist family. No one thought too much about it.

When I first met the kids that I knew best, they lived in a corner house, and the house right next door was painted and landscaped in exactly the same way. I didn’t understand why that was as a nine-year-old, but I did notice it. By the time I was twelve or so, I had heard about the polygamy part of it, and realized that each house was for a different section of the family. Over the years, that expanded to about four (maybe five) houses running down the street, one after the other.

And by the way, those folks must have been near perfect neighbors. Their houses were immaculately kept, the kids were all quiet and very well behaved, all good students, and friendly, if a little more private than most.

In junior high, I got know one of the kids from one of the other sections of the family as well. And in high school, a couple of more.

About the cultish thing, they did dress very conservatively, with the boys wearing dark pants and ties to school, the girls long dresses. And this was at the height of the hippie movement. They took some teasing from other kids about it. I honestly don’t know what their private home life was like, but they seemed happy. They were definitely very religious. Could easily been seen as a cult, I guess, and definitely not my thing (no religion is), but the few I knew seemed like pretty ordinary kids when you got down to it.

I think that it is much more underground now, as the polygamists have nearly universally bad press in the last 20 years, and I think the community is much less tolerant than it was. But I’d be surprised if there weren’t at least a few here and there pretty much just as it is depicted o the show.

Very interesting anecdotes, RJKUgly. Thanks for sharing them.

I think you’ve been watching too much Sopranos.

Roman’s the most interesting character on the show, and the tension between him and Bill is driving half the storylines.

No way on earth they move back to the compound. A major part of the show is the interplay between the polygamous family and the suburban lifestyle. And, they’re finally putting the house in order, or at least planting grass. Not to mention that there’s no way that Bill could maintain his public facade if he moved back to the compound – he’d have to give up the home stores.

However, they’ve now hinted at the fact that his grandfather was the true prophet and that Bill might have some of that in him. So, if he gets the seat on the council, it’s possible that some people from the brotherhood start migrating towards his way of thinking. That could set up a big power struggle and really force him to make a choice.

About two episodes ago, they had a full boobage shot of Nicki. Boobage is such a fun word! :wink:

I like how you disregard what I said and then in your final paragraph support what I said
That’s weird dude.

They’ve set up that the family will be outed. They’ve set up that Bill really is the rightful heir to the church leadership. If Bill decides to push that the only way he can is to move to the compound. Barb WON’T. She’ll try to keep her wing of the family in town where they will face persecution. Barb won’t be able to work because no school will hire the wife of a polygamist cult figure. Nickie will LOVE moving back to the compound and without the first wife present Nickie will assert power and privliege. Margie will move back and forth because she needs to be close to Bill but wants to live secularly. Ben will be further torn when Bill wants to groom him to be a leader as well. Sarah will probably distance herself from everyone more.

I think the business would be hurt when Bills outed but I don’t think it would destroy it. And Bill is so shortsighted at times he may think he can run the company AND try to lead a breakaway religious sect at the same time.

The core of the show would still be present- The whole interplay between suburban and polygamist life, but it’s going to, based on what they have set up this season, go beyond it. The whole show can’t be a suspension of “When will people find out? Oh that was a close one.” Its not a fucking sitcom that resets each week.