Big Ten Football - Ohio State Plays Dirty Ball

Legal question:

Can the player be arrested for assault?
If not, why not, seeing as putting his hands around the players neck is surely NOT part of the game.

(bear in mind, I still have not seen the play)

As a Wisconsin alumnus, I was outraged at the dirty behavior of Reynolds. However, when we won anyway in spite of not having our starting quarterback, I was mollified a bit. It was a sweet victory.

While I think the one game suspension is too lenient, I give Reynolds props for having the balls to call Sorgi (the quarterback victim) directly and apologize.

Maybe. The general rule is that there is a license to injure in sports. A tackle in footall could ordinarily be considered and assault. It’s not because of the license I mentioned.

I thought the Darnell Dockett incident was very minor compared to this one, which is why I asked at the top, “how far does the license to injure in sports go?” I could see a questionable “twist” being ignored. But, a clear (very) example of what might be called attempted murder in the real world seems a bit too far to me.

Not really, because the specific intent to kill was probably not there. But, choking? Choking? I’ll ignore the followup knee to the head for a moment.

Justify Woody’s behavior? I could have swore the guy has been dead for awhile now. As for what you meant to imply in your comment: Do you actually read the responses to your blathering?

I clearly and completely stated that Reynold’s actions were reprehensible. I even voiced a lack of faith in the program to deal with this issue head-on. In that, I was wrong as they have issued direct apologies to the players, team, coach, and public. Reynolds will be suspended a game - perhaps not an adequate punishment but that is another issue entirely.

So Duckie why don’t you un-cork your head from your ass and try again to explain how your OP is something more than the rantings of a gas-bag? Put up or shut-up oh football genius.

SweetJoe