Bike carrier for a hatchback - recommendations?

I have to bring my bike with me to college, and since my parents are flying up to see me off it can’t come with them. I need a bike carrier for my 92 Toyota Celica hatchback, the sort that doesn’t require a hitch. Preferably it will have some sort of lock to attach the bike to it, too, since I have to stay overnight in Chattanooga on the way there and I don’t want to hassle with taking it off if I can avoid it. Anyone have one they’d definitely recommend, or at least ones to avoid? Any idea where I might go to buy one?

Setting e-mail notification - sorry

I had a Thule, and it was very solid for up to three bikes. Actually, now that I think about it, I was driving an '89 Celica at the time.

But if you’re going to be transporting your bike with any regularity, I would suggest a roof rack or a hitch-mounted rack. They’re more expensive, but it used to drive me crazy not having access to the hatch once my bike was attached.

On the other hand, you’re probably more organized than me and won’t attach your bike until you’re sure that you have finished in the back and are ready to go.

Yeah, my plan was to pack stuff to drop off in St. Louis (including the bike) in the back of the trunk, and leave my suitcase and such in the backseat so I won’t have to open the trunk en route. So where can I get one?

Never mind, I looked on their website (duh) and they don’t have any local dealers, and the price online is more than my dad is willing to spend, so it’s off to the local bike shop tomorrow to see what they can offer. Thanks for the advice, though.

Don’t leave your bike locked to any rack. The locks on bike racks are there to keep honest people honest. Not to stop the bad guys.
When I travel with my bikes, they go inside at night.

But can I bring it into the room at a hotel with indoor corridors?

You might try Yakima.

I always have, and none of the desk clerks have ever batted an eye. I have even flown with my bike in a box, gotten to the hotel and built my bike on the bed.
If you are going with this course of action, I would strongly suggest that the bike be clean.

Okay, here’s what I got: A Saris Bones 2 - at $110, not what my dad was hoping for, but it should hold up for 20 hours of interstate driving. I’ll let you know if it works.

And thanks for the help!