Bird Feeder Vacancy

Okay, I hung a bird feeder just outside my kitchen window on a lovely ficus tree that seemed to have a lot of bird life freqenting it. That was five months ago, and the thing has freakin’ cobwebs growing on it now. I have never seen a bird near it, and it’s still 3/4 filled with bird seed (I think some of it fell out in the wind).

Obviously, birds are dumb. Finding this feeder shouldn’t be that difficult, should it? So–how do I get the birds to notice the dang thing and actually eat from it? Any orinthologists out there?

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

What kind of birds are they? Perhaps you’re filling it with the wrong kind of food. Call your local bird store and ask them what they recommend for your area.

I took a peek at your profile, and I noted that you’re just a hop, skip, and jump from where I live (Pasadena). We buy the generic mixed bird seed at PetSmart, and the local birds will finish off a pound of the stuff inside of 24 hours.

I’ve noticed that the different species show preference to seed that is relative to their size. The sparrows, finches and other small birds like the tiny round kernals, The fat bluejays and robins go for the sunflower seed-sized stuff, and the doves will eat just about anything.

If our cat shows his face in the backyard, the birds will disappear for at least an hour before returning. Also, maybe they just don’t like your feeder. Scatter some seed on the ground to see if it’s your yard or the feeder they don’t like.

There could be several reasons for the lack of activity in your feeder

(1) The presence of predators nearby. Do you have cats hanging around your yard? They will chase off and/or kill birds if they can.

(2) Plenty of other food available in the area. If the birds can find their favorite food easily, they may not be attracted to your food.

(3) Wrong kind of food for the birds in your area. I know PapaBear endorses the generic seed mix, but in my opinion, it’s mostly filler. Very few birds eat the millet (the BB-like seeds). Try black-oil sunflower seeds, or thistles. They’re both expensive, but birds love them.

(4) The seeds have rotted. If bird seeds get wet, they will go moldy and rot. Dump it out right away. Moldy seeds can actually kill birds (another reason why you don’t see any–they’re all dead!).

(5) Bad location. If the feeder is still 3/4 full, that means even squirrels haven’t tried to go near it. Those tree rats will eat anything. Since they haven’t, I’d have to assume there’s something bad about the location (too noisy/busy/close to people/etc). Try another location.

What kind of feeder are you using? Each one is best for a certain kind of bird. Hanging feeders are good for sparrows, wrens, doves, and perching feeders. Suet feeders are good for woodpeckers and sapsuckers. Tray feeders are good for ground feeding birds.

It takes time to attract birds to a new feeder. Remember, it’s not like birds are flocking together to tell each where the good feeders are. Try putting out a water source too. This time of year birds need water more than they need seed.

All of the above are good tips. I know from personal experience you need to have some cover for the birds to hide. I lost two trees to beetles and many of the birds stopped coming to my feeders after I cut the trees down. I then laid an old Christmas tree near the feeder and suddenly there were scores of birds feeding again. I hang my feeders on a shepard’s hook. Good Luck!

“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore.’”
E A Poe

Obviously, birds are dumb. Finding this feeder shouldn’t be that difficult, should it? So–how do I get the birds to notice the dang thing and actually eat from it? Any orinthologists out there?

Obviously not.
They know perfectly well, where and when, the feeder is filled.
They have left instead, in search of water, which is more essential.