"Bird on a Wire" - just how old *is* it?

I heard the new KD Lang cover of this song on the radio today, and started googling it when I got home. I’ve discovered that Leonard Cohen wrote it, and it’d seem the first album it appeared on was “Songs from a Room”. in 1969, but I found a version of the song on a certain service that’s by the Fairport Convention as of 1968. So, when was the song first released? And then, I don’t suppose there’s any way to find a list of the artists who’ve covered it over the years?

Cohen discography shows it appearing in 1968.

List of those who have performed it

Actually, that discography shows the song as having been first released on Songs from a Room in April 1969, as teleute12 said. (You may have been confused by the 1973 reissue single with BOAW as a B-side appearing under a bold “1968” header.) The Fairport version was part of a BBC session recorded and broadcast in December 1968, but not released on record at the time.

Johnny Cash’s recording of this song is amazing, BTW.

Judy Collins too

Ilsa_Lund’s theory of popular music: All songs improve at least two-fold when covered by either Johnny Cash or Judy Collins.

Except “Send in the Clowns”.

Nobody can save this song.

If only Johnny and Judy had tried a version together…
Putting in a plug for Joe Cocker’s version.

MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA.
YOU HAVE INSULTED ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS EVER.
PREPARE TO DIE.

Ooohh, that’s rich.

:smiley:

Actually, it’s quite queer…

We lost our timing this late in our career…
:smack:

Same for Leonard Cohen.
:smiley:

You obviously never heard Dudu Fisher’s Hebrew version. Of course, that man could sing the NYC phone book in Hebrew and make it sound totally amazing.

Actually, IMO, you haven’t heard “Bird on a Wire” until you’ve heard The Bobs do their live, a capella heavy metal version (yes, you read that right).

I’m scared.