Bird owners: Good cockatiel toys?

So I’m an owner of two cockatiels. But I have a hard time finding some stimulating toys that they actually take notice to. I mean, I don’t absolutely need one, but it would be nice to change up the monotony of their cages for them once in a while.

Any suggestions?

Hey, me too!

I have a few bell-oriented toys in the cage right now. They like those on occassion, but they seem to much prefer climbing around on me, or shredding any convenient paper items. And they like playing with my glasses. And necklaces… The male likes to play with napkins (he throws them around and chatters at them. He’s very odd).

So, I guess my answer is that I have no idea, either. Mine don’t seem to care for “normal” toys.

Yes, bird owners make excellent cockatiel toys.

what?

:smack: Wasn’t meant to come out that way. I was addressing the question to bird owners.

I’m an owner of three cockatiels. I’ve read that it’s good to keep a rotation of toys about once per week, lest they become too bored with them. One of the easiest toys to add is some paper that they can chew on and play with. When we add shredded paper, for instance, they spend hours playing with it. Also, clipping those mail-in postcards you find in magazines to the side of the cage can be entertaining.

My birds love to chew on leaves, so I try and add either euchaliptys branches or fir/pine branches, intact, to their cages from time to time. Adds a great smell to the house, too. Check online to see if any other plants are poisonous to them before adding though.

Anything bright and/or metal, if you simply tie it to a string and dangle it. For example, we have an old bead necklace, New Orleans style, and one of those mini-flashlights that they give out at employment fairs and the like (they like the chain). Also, small chimes can be entertaining for them.

I know our one male enjoys puzzles, like tying something on the end of a somewhat thick rope and tying two or three knots around it. He’ll then work to undo the knots and drop the toy to the ground.

Putting a cardboard box in the cage can give them something fun to explore, but may also encourage the need to nest. Cardboard boxes make terrible nests, though, so take them out after a few days.

Bird Toymaker DIY has tons more ideas for making your own bird toys. Take a look around your house, at left over parts and bits and try to think of ways to make them fun for your birds. They’ll get bored with anything after a while, so, as I mentioned, it’s important to keep a rotation going.

The one thing our parrot always pays a lot of attention to is antique woodwork. Maybe pick up a really old teak hutch or something? Also the chewy kind of vinyl mopboards, bike helmets, Tevas, and posters from the 40s on fome-core.