Birmingham Section of London?

London just grew over centuries, so it’s a bit of a mish-mash.

There is a ‘Chinatown’, but although there are some excellent restaurants, I think it’s a tourist invention.
‘Soho’ is a central arty area (though I don’t know which streets technically form it).
‘West End’ is the theatre area.
‘East Enders’ is a popular TV soap. (The characters are usually short of money and opportunities, like to shop at markets and celebrate down the pub.)
There is no area associated with Birmingham.

Birmingham is pronounced at least two ways - one way generally and another by the residents. I think it’s called a Brummie accent.

Hee hee - there’s also Ipswich Road and Norwich Road. The latter is in West Ham, so you get two doses of scum for the price of one :smiley:

The BBC Voices page is quite useful in these sorts of threads, although interestingly in this case, it doesn’t have a great wealth of resources relating specifically to the City of Birmingham.

However, what many people think of as the stereotypical Birmingham accent, is in fact the one regional to Dudley

For one thing, Brummies tend to pronounce the “ng” in “Birmingham” and other words like it is pronounced in “finger”, enunciating the G, whereas most other Brits would pronounce that “ng” like the one in “singer”.