Birthday cards

I’m really bad at composing birthday cards. Any type of cards, really, but birthday cards especially. I just don’t do well at writing mushy stuff like “May your year be filled with happiness and your dreams be fulfilled…” blech
In the past, I’ve usually gone to Hallmark.com and written something from one of their cards. I just can’t think of anything to say other than, “Score good presents!”

What do you do when it’s time to send a card to a close friend? Where do you get your inspiration?

I purchased one recently for a friend that pictured an elderly Eastern Block woman wishing her an abundance of orgasms. It was her favorite card this year!

I hate writing long messages in cards, especially since you know they are going right in the trash. but I usually write something along the lines of, “May your XXth year be your best yet!” If I felt uncomfortable mentioning their age I would just write, “Best wishes for a fantastic day.”

That’s pretty much EXACTLY what I say. Seriously. My in-laws and friends LOVE getting cards from me. They say I make them smile. Doesn’t get much better than that, right? :smiley:

I purchased this very same card for a friend whose bday is later on this year. I can’t wait to give it to her!

I much prefer the bawdy, witty cards to the sentimental ones. And as far as writing something flowing and poetic, I don’t sweat it. If I’m in the right mood to do so, I can say some pretty beautiful things. If I’m not in that mood, I generally say something funny.

Just because I don’t say the beautiful, poetic things doesn’t mean that I’m not feeling them. Nope. Not one bit. Making someone smile is the end result, no matter what. It’s all good.

So I guess what I’m saying is that I generally buy a card that doesn’t require me to go to great lengths in coming up with that oh-so-right phrasing. :wink:

ETA: Oh, and if I was getting a card for a close friend, they’d probably expect and even want the witty, bawdy card with a funny or smart-alecky remark from me, because it would be a reflection of me and of our friendship.