Bizarre, Unsolved or Otherwise Infamous True Crime Cases From Your State / Country

Some more from New Hamshire(Or New Hamp-shaa):

Maura Murray—a 21 year old college student who disappeared after a car accident in the northern part of the state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Maura_Murray

The Bear Brook murders— four female murder victims who were found in 55-gallon drums near Bear Brook State Park(two in 1985, two in 2000).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Brook_murders

Pamela Smart—a teacher who convinced her teenage lover to murder her husband in 1990
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Smart

When I was a student at Kent State University in Ohio in 1978, a young woman, Judy Martins, went missing while walking between dorms on campus. IIRC it was about 1 am, and she had donned a silly wig to go play a joke on a friend in a neighboring dorm. She disappeared while walking the short distance back to her own dorm, which was not far from the dorm I lived in. Since it happened right at the end of the school year, the story kind of faded away, but I know she was never found. There were claims of sightings of her working in the sex trade in Columbus, but those proved false. The story really didn’t get as much publicity as other cases, but I remember the searches that went on at the time, and aerial searches we were told were looking for her.

Massachusetts has the infamous murder of Abby and Andrew Borden No one was ever convicted of them, though Lizzie did stand trial and was acquitted. And inspired a song.

Ann Marie Burr lived in Ted Bundy’s uncle’s neighborhood, and disappeared when she was 8 and Bundy was 14. Her body was never found, and Bundy never admitted to it, though consevepedia claims he did it.

What was your impression of Ms. Loveless? That name is certainly appropriate for her upbringing; what a trainwreck she came from! :frowning:

I was living in the area when this heavily publicized murder happened; a 9-year-old girl went missing and was found a few days later in a shallow grave, and a 15-year-old neighbor was arrested a few days later, and eventually convicted.

A 15-year-old GIRL.

This homicide, also involving teenagers, made national headlines when it happened. Every year, the victim’s father has a memorial carwash to raise money for people who want to get a GED but can’t otherwise afford it.

Honestly? I thought she was kinda cute. It was just a meeting in passing, so I didn’t spend any real time with her. I only remembered her when the news broke because I called the mutual friend and asked if it was the same girl. She’s a few years younger than I am, so we never went to school together or anything.

One current on in NYC is the murder of Tessa Majors. Two 14 year old boys have been arrested and pled “not guilty.”

Fresno, CA I lived about 200 yards from this model citizen. Had to take a pretty dramatic set of detours to get home that day.

Police are still uncertain about how her parents escaped charges. And by ‘police’ I mean ‘everyone who isn’t a cop’.

In southern Ontario, the first thing that sprang to mind was the case of Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, in the early to mid 1990s. As husband and wife, they raped and murdered three teenage girls, including Karla’s younger sister Tammy. Paul was also know as the Scarborough Rapist.

I don’t think her parents did it, although how much they were involved, or knew, may be another story.

“He homeschooled the children and taught them from his own handwritten Bible that focused on Jesus Christ being a vampire.”

Erm…okay than…freaky dude… :eek:

Since we’re mentioning really bad murders and murderers there is one that will stay with me forever. It’s the most disgusting thing I have ever read. I will not provide a link, and I will put the name of the victim in a spoiler box. Google if you dare.

WARNING: Only if you date, google “Lattie McGee.”

I actually wouldn’t mind reading that…

Undead.
Offers eternal life via blood drinking.
Checks out.

I need brain bleach. Holy fuck.

I should have heeded your advice, Annie-Xmas.

In 1981 five year old Jackie Hay went missing in Topeka. There were massive searches, and the case is as cold as hell. She would be forty-four now, if she were alive.

I’m assuming that BTK’s involvement has been excluded?

BTK was Wichita, not Topeka. His killings were adults and this was a little girl.

Another Arizona moster: Robert William Fisher - Wikipedia

He disappeared, and they later found his truck and dog in the mountains. And that’s it.

From the other side of the river: a civil issue rather than criminal but certainly bizarre.