Black-owned hotels in Atlanta in 1940s

A trivia item at the IMDb alleges that black actor James Baskett was unable to attend the premiere of Disney’s Song of the South in 1946 because no hotel in Atlanta would give him accommodation. Baskett starred as Uncle Remus, and later won a special Academy Award for his performance.

That sounds suspicious. Of course, Atlanta was a racially segregated city at that time. But it was also a large city (1940 metro area pop. 821,000), and must have had black-owned hotels that catered to the black community.

Anyone have the straight dope?

Wikipedia says it was the associated festivities that he wouldn’t have been allowed to attend (presumably held in segregated establishments). Given that he died shortly afterwards of heart disease, his health may have been a more important factor in him not attending.

Not at all coincidentally, one of the seminal civil rights case involving access to public accommodations and commerce clause authority to legislate private activity is the Heart of Atlanta Motel decided in 1964. I would, like you, have thought that there would have been a black only hotel though, especially given the presence of the thriving Sweet Auburn community not far from downtown.

Actually, I’m the author of that part of the Wikipedia article.

P.S. My previous post was referring to the James Baskett article in Wikipedia, not the Heart of Atlanta Motel.

as I suspected, the balck-owned Herndon Building in Sweet Auburn had a hotel section.

How’s this

Thanks, whole bean!