Blizzard, you suck. (Lame)

Actually they jumped from almost 50 to almost 90 servers within the first week.

You don’t want to overinvest in your infrastructure either, and then end up with a “dog” of a product and several million dollars worth of hardware sitting unused.

I, uh, I knew that. I was testing your knowledge. Yeah. Actually I think I got confused and was thinking of the Pacific servers, back when they listed them by time zone.

I have always been against nerfing in principle, because it usually starts off as an overly-specific tweak, and often gets done for poorly-conceived reasons, simply because people whine too much.

Sometimes its a good idea. But not often, IMHO. Sometimes boosting is definitely required, though; some classes like the original Ranger in EQ just didn’t get the kind of play they shoud have because they just didn’t have the punch to match most others. And I understand the Monk is now kind of screwed.

Now, in Diablo 2, I would have to say that the Paladin was undergunned compared to most of the opposition. Their abilities favored party-based games (and then were pretty decent), but for us single-player peeps (like when I got the game and for a year afterward) they just sucked after Act 2 unless you got lucky on the gear. Or piled everythin in Thorns. but sadly, many of the abilities that looked good at the start wound up being pretty awful later on. I had to start my character over and totally redesign him, which did not please me.

BTW: the Paladin is a lot more fun to play now. In fact, I’m in act 5 on normal, have only spent about 7 skill points, and am simply thinking about where I want to go from here in terms of skills. I’m not all sure what to get, though I’m considering beefing up the great new lightening aura. Those formerly nigh-useless (yes, I know there were some specialty tricks with them, but it just didn’t work out for me) elemental damage auras are pretty solid now.

Hi Velveeta, if you’re still after a copy, I chucked my brothers (unused copy) up on EBay for you, he didnt deserve it (well actually, he is too busy with Ultima Online and Half-Life 2 at the moment so wants to try my account first) .
if you email me I can give you the details.

Oh thanks anyway, but I did manage to find a copy and already have a level 12 character. Of course, tonight I can’t log on to the server.

The SDMB D2 presence used to get guys to level 40 pretty fast by using a combination of shockadins with bows and convadins with maces (convadins were used exclusively later on because the aura helped the rushing sorc more than holy shock ever did). Holy Shock can get up there in terms of damage, and if you can just find something that hits really fast you’re gold against anything but stuff with high lightning resistance.

(Level 40 because that’s the level at which we could power 7 characters through norm, nightmare and enough of Hell to get 7 sets of forges in each difficulty level. Og damn do I miss those days. I have a Ltgsorc going right now who’s chewing shit up in a1 norm on players 8, but it just isn’t the same without having 3 well-played characters beating the tar out of … everything.)

Hey thats not a problem, Im going to be installing mine tonight hopefully the servers will be up.