Blood after sex...

POTENTIAL TMI
My girlfriend and I had sex yesterday (not 1st time), for about 2 hours total (the whole experience, not just pumping), and it was fun and fine. Now today, she told me that whenever she goes pee, she sees blood in her panties. It’s just normal blood, not like “period blood” as she puts it. She just finished her period like 3 days ago, so we know it’s not that, and we were wondering what might be the cause of this. Is it something that could be serious? Should she go to a doctor? Is it something we should worry about?

First off, IANAD.

Is she peeing blood, or is the blood just there in her underwear? If the sex was a little “intense”, she may just have some broken capillaries on her cervix, which is nothing to be alarmed about. If she’s peeing blood, get to a doctor right away!

Just on her panties… not peeing it.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, unless it continues past today.

If it happens again or is painful at all, have her check with a doctor. It could be a number of things, including thinning of the vaginal walls due to hormonal levels (especially if she’s on the pill), or in rare instances a condition called Lichen Sclerosis. (www.lichenslerosis.org)

It is my understanding that the uterus contracts reperatedly during (her) orgasm, and these contractions can re-start menstrual bleeding if they occur shortly after the end of her period. The related prodding (sorry, can’t get to the thesaurus for more precise terminology) of the outer uterine wall could also be responsible for causing the not-quite-back-to-normal tissue to bleed some. Three days after seems a bit longer than one might expect, but I suppose “after” is relative, since blood flow doesn’t just turn off like a faucet.

Your GF’s bleeding might not look like “period blood” to her because the latter involves the sloughing of the uterine lining, which has already finished taking place - but in this case it’s the same blood, from the same source. It should stop in a day or so.

If not, and even if it does stop but she’s still concerned, I’d suggest a call to her gynecologist.

IANAD, but…

No worries, blood happens.

See a doc if it continues. Otherwise, use more lubrication the next time!

-Tcat

How much is she bleeding? How long does she bleed for? She should definitely talk to her doctor just to make sure everything is in order.
Something like this happened to me a few years ago. I had an endometrial polyp (diagnosed by way of an ultrasound). The way my doctor explained it, it’s sort of like a skin tag in the uterus. What happened was that it would get knocked around during sex, and then bleed. I got my polyp removed, and it hasn’t been a problem since. Good luck!