Blue Lights and Police Cars - Southern States?

Hmm… I’m just as confused as you are by what I wrote!

So long as it’s not just me…

It denotes those states where KMart still has a viable presence.

:smiley:

In Virginia, law enforcement vehicles may use flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, blue and red, blue and white, or red, white, and blue combination warning lights, as laid out in VA Code § 46.2-1022. The Code goes on, in §§ 46.2-1023 through 1030, to prescribe other color combinations for other functions: Flashing red or red and white warning lights are for fire apparatus, ambulances, rescue and life-saving vehicles, and forest warden vehicles; flashing amber, purple, or green warning lights are for tow trucks, utility and highway maintenance vehicles, refuse collection, snow removal, and related functions.

Then quit smoking up behind the Orange Julius, boy!

I dunno, are you East of the Hudson and north of Poughkeepsie? :smiley:

Ohhhh…FL, I dont recall seeing only blue or only red lights for police here, although I have seen blue-only lights UPON what looked like police cars, I just have never seen them on, so maybe I am just selectively remembering.

For a while in the 1960’s, Nashville police had sirens that sounded like what I think of as gestapo sirens. (You can hear these at the end of the 1950s version of the film The Diary of Anne Frank.) Now that was really creepy.

Welcome to the Straight Dope, VandyLaw You just missed a good time down the street from you. Read about it here. Join us next time!

Dunno if you refer to PA as part of the northeast, but Fire and EMS here has been using blue for at least 35 years.

I know Maryland isn’t really considered Northeast, but here only police cars use blue lights. They have blue and red, and some have a small yellow lightbar below the main one facing backwards for traffic control.
Fire and EMS (both career and volunteer) use strictly red and white (some have yellow on the back for traffic), and yellow is for county vehicles, trash trucks, roadwork vehicles, mailtrucks and private security.