Blueprints for TV apartments

During the credits sequence, Homer is pushed by the station wagon into a room behind the garage, which is immediately followed by the couch gag. So I think whoever made the drawing assumed that the Simpsons’ family room/TV room was behind the garage. I know that’s where it is in my parents’ house.

I agree with this. Most houses and apartments are basically rectangles, with everything within one rectangle. Sometimes, there is an extension, so there are two joined rectangles, but still the perimeter is really much simpler than the ones shown. I wonder why TV producers don’t try to conform their sets to reality; they know that we’re going to do things like try to imagine what the houses and apartments must look like.

I remember a Simpson’s Episode where Marge yelled for Homer to check on the kids in the tree house during a storm. Lightning flashed, he saw the tree house, and then yelled they were fine. Did that take place in the odd room?

Has anyone ever seen a layout of the ER emergency room? I’ve seen every episode like five times, an I still cannot get my head around it.

Don’t think so. Homer was drinking beer in front of the TV, so I’d assume it was in the TV room.

The episode was

Appears to be the rumpus room:

Yes, here’s the scene on YouTube. Although it’s a really crappy copy (video of a TV screen) you can see Homer’s in the rumpus room (for some reason)…

I googled a bit and I found this article (pdf) about ER - the third page has what looks like an official blueprint. I copied it and you can see it here - it’s not a very high resolution picture. It’s difficult to read the names of some of the rooms - in the upper left corner of the blueprint, the three rooms (from left to right) are the Suture Room, Trauma 2, and Trauma 1.

That’s a nicely done illustration (and pretty accurate!) Is there one for the second floor? I’ve always wondered what the small room over the garage is supposed to be. Maggie’s room maybe?

Awesome - thank you so much! I couldn’t get my Google skills to work. I’d love to get my hands on the full piece she wrote.

That layout is the “new layout” with the clear board and super secure entry. Assuming the ER remodel was based in any kind if reality, I can puzzle out how it used to be.

Where are all the extra rooms in the Simpsons coming from? I’m no Simpsons scholar, but I’ve never seen some of them.

Which rooms are extra? The only one that I can’t think of ever seeing is the bathroom between the kitchen and the rumpus room.

I just noticed that this pic has the basement stairs at the end of a hallway past the garage/house door. They should be right below the main staircase with the entrance door in the kitchen (the foyer closet should be half as wide…)