Board weirdness with dollar signs

This is my entire post from another thread (topic). I included dollar signs and they showed up in the preview window but disappeared when I saved/posted. Anybody know why?

ThelmaLouMember 1h

When I was a kid, gold was 35/oz. Seriously. Of course, gasoline was .20/gal. Minimum wage was $1.10. Gold mining was especially dangerous because of the dinosaurs.

ETA: I put dollar signs in front of the “35” and the “.20” --why did the bot remove them?? The dollar signs SHOW UP in the preview window, but disappear when I save.

ETA #2 test: 35 per ounce, .20 per gallon

ETA #3: I put dollar signs in ETA #2 – I thought maybe the bot didn’t like the slash. But the dollar sign was okay in “$1.10” What’s up with that?

$35.00 $0.35

It appears to need a decimal point with something in front of it, like some kind of Excel rule.

$ 35.00
$0.35

$cientology. Hope that works - can’t have a message board without that spelling.

35./oz .020/gal

Imgur of post window:

Note the presence of dollar sign in the part of the post window that shows.

Escaped with backslashes:

$35./oz $.020/gal

Here is a longer sentence that uses dollar signs: $35./oz and $0.20/gal

ETA: Well, this worked.

What?

It’s a bug, it’s taking the dollar signs to be some weird formatting, I don’t know what.

You can work around it by putting backslashes \ in front of the dollar signs.

\$35./oz

Okay. Interesting. But in my last post, the dollar signs came out okay… I’ll keep the backslash thing in mind… or maybe just write out “dollars and cents.” :yum:

Just for my own information, should I have known what you meant by
“Escaped with backslashes”? without asking for clarification?

Sorry, that was probably a bit too technical.

I think it worked in your later post because there was other text in front of it.

FWIW, it is covered in a recent ATMB thread. That’s why I knew what your problem was as soon as I saw it.

Thanks. I never would have found that.

Testing. $25 worth of testing. – looks OK in the preview window, but I’ve noticed previews here don’t look exactly like the posts.

Maybe the problem was the slash after it? $25/per dozen.

Huh. Maybe a slash and a space? $25/ per dozen.

I didn’t put any slashes in that aren’t visible.

Discourse is weird.

$25 / per dozen?

Testing:

E=MC^2

The MathJax plugin for Discourse allows you to insert mathematical formulas.

Inline formulas are marked with a $ at the beginning and the end.

My guess is that MathJax is disabled on the SDMB, but it’s still scanning for the pair of $ signs on a line. It’s removing the $ signs, but not processing what is between them as a formula.

(I had to escape the two $ signs on the line above, or they wouldn’t display.)

Testing again:

by itself. Text with in the middle.
Text with it at the end . at the beginning and again at the end $.
Shows as normal in the preview box; and no I’m not using any escape slashes.

aha! I was beginning to think that whatever it was doesn’t affect me at all, but there it is. I think others can figure out where the dollar sign originally was in the above.

But I note that I didn’t have it show up at all when I used it with a dollar amount in multiple different arrangements – see post above, all of those $25’s.

What about this?
(a)
(b)
©

© stay © even if I use \ before it: test1 \ © test2 © test3 \ © test4 \ ©

It works if you escape the second bracket.

(c)