Bolding Mine

Same here. I include the other stuff if there is a worry that someone will say I am quoting out of context.

That or the person claims they never said X, Y & Z so I bold X, Y & Z to highlight that they did, in fact, say it.

Also, the mods here are very touchy (understandably) about modifying a quote so you need to be explicit if you fiddle with it in any way.

Interestingly, the rules aren’t clear on this.

Yep, it’s really hard to claim somebody took something out of context when they quote the actual context.
You should have stuck with IMHO.

NETA: Yes. Double Ninja’ed. But I avoid underlining (except when I’ve already overloaded a sentence with italics AND boldness and need a way to denote a tertiary emphasis :eek: ). Why don’t I underline? Because some snarky Doper(s) complain when an underlined phrase doesn’t enclose a URL link. :smack:

Would denounce be a better word here?

Why do you hate Balding Mimes?

Knowed Out, I’mma let you finish, but this was the dumbest Pit thread of all time.

I have never seen anyone use ‘‘bolding mine’’ the way you’ve categorized it in the OP. Do you have a particular example stuck in your craw? Share it with us and we can make fun of that person instead.

Oh come on, half the shit on this board is people putting words in someone else’s mouth and then arguing against it.

The most typical way I use ‘‘Bolding Mine’’ is ''I agree with all this other stuff you said, but not with this bit, right here."

Or in cases where the thing I’m responding to would just look really weird out of context.

“Or in other words…” is a method often used for that.

As many have pointed out, the OP has the whole ‘out of context’ thing entirely wrong.

And he may recognize this at this point, being that he has not returned to his thread.

Or maybe he’s gone missing, perhaps trapped in a bolding mine.
mmm

It’s usually like this:

Poster 1: “ABC.”

Poster 2: “Are you saying XYZ? You didn’t NOT say XYZ! Blah blah blah.”

Instead of signatures, people should have disclaimer manifestos.

In 18 years on this board, I’m sure I’ve seen dumber*, but it’s certainly a contender.
*Actually, I can think of one fortunately long-ago Pit thread I started that may be dumber than this one. But not by much.