Bond's martinis

According to “The Complete James Bond Movie Encyclopedia”, by Steven Jay Rubin:

Bond specifically asks for a vodka martini on Maximillian Largo’s yacht in “Never say Never Again”. I’ll admit, I can’t offhand think of another specific vodka martini reference. Other notable moments:

-the mistake from “You Only Live Twice”, in which Henderson (Charles Gray) offers a martini to Bond (Connery), announcing it is “Stirred, not shaken.” Bond accepts unhesitantly.

-when Pam Bouvier (Carey Lowell, later of Law & Order fame) orders a martini for Bond (Timothy Dalton) in “License to Kill”, she gestures the “shaken” part in a semi-obscene manner.

As for Cantrip’s mention of the best dialogue, I’ll agree that “No, Mister Bond, I expect you to die!” is the best, but my vote for second is “That’s a Smith and Wesson, and you’ve had your six.” spoken by Connery just before shooting Professor Dent in cold blood (Dr. No).

Another mild piece of trivia is that two James Bond villians were portrayed by actors who had also appeared as Germans in the film version of “The Longest Day.” They were Gert Frobe (Goldfinger) and Curt Jurgens (Stromburg, of “The Spy Who Loved Me”).

One day, I’ll go through my collection of James Bond novels to find the first Fleming reference to “shaken, not stirred”.

Bryan Ekers
Montreal