Book Series with Female Protagonists - recommendations?

I am currently reading the Janet Evanovitch series about Stephanie Plum.

Link to first book

I am enjoying them immensly. They require very little brainpower and I can really get into the main character because she is both a woman and accident prone (just like me).

The problem is, I am going to run out of them in, give or take, two weeks.

I was hoping my fellow dopers could recommend some good reads with Female Protagonists. Preferably series since I read so damn fast.

Also, I don’t buy books, I use the library so old is okay.

The Hunger Games

I guess if you like crime/mystery there are quite a few.
Patricia Cornwell has a ton of books featuring Kay Scarpetta, starting with Postmortem.
James Patterson has the Women’s Murder Club series, starting with 1st to Die.

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy, which is fantasy but features a pretty cool female protagonist.

I have read the first two hunger games and have the last on hold.

Logging other suggestions in my wanted list (our library has the best online software).

The Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs is kind of similar, although with not quite as much comedy. They bear very little resemblance to the TV series, apart from the heroine’s profession.

If you’re open to science fiction, I think Anne McCaffrey had some good female protagonists, though not all of her books have one, (Dragonquest, The White Dragon, and Dragondrums have male protagonists, for instance.)

I’ve heard it said that the ‘Bones’ tv series was based more on Reichs’ own work with the FBI than on her novels.

Laurie R. King writes the Mary Russell series, about Sherlock Holmes’ wife, and also a series about a lesbian San Francisco police detective named Kate Martinelli, though I think she has more or less concluded that series.

Laura Lippman writes about a Baltimore private detective named Tess Monaghan, and Sara Paretsky writes about Chicago P.I. V.I Warshawski. J.A. Jance writes two series, one about a former newscaster in Arizona named Ali Reynolds, and one about an Arizona sheriff named Joanna Brady.

I mostly read mysteries and thrillers, as you see.

I’d strongly recommend Nevada Barr, and her Anna Pigeon books. They are consistently good, and Barr is a strong writer.

I’d recommend about the first half of the Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell. I really soured on her books when they took a turn towards unrealistic drama amongst her characters and away from the meat of the mysteries.

For frame of reference, I started out on the Stephanie Plum series, but after about six or seven, the formula of the books got too overwhelming, repetitive and boring for me.

Robert B. Parker wrote several Sunny Randall books, which I enjoyed.

ETA: I’d also recommend Kathy Reichs. The books are quite different than the TV show. I have not read all of them yet, though.

Wow! I am so thankful!

I have been stabbing around looking for new series and in less than an hour, I probably have enough to get me through 2012.

Why didn’t I think of asking earlier?

Keep them coming.

Pretty much anything by Tamora Pierce. Start with the Song of the Lioness Quartet. You’ll find her in the YA section, but it’s just good fiction that happens to have a young protagonist.

The Tiger and Del series by Jennifer Roberson - this is Sword & Sorcery genre, but it’s awesome. The POV character is male, but the story is about his adventures with his female partner Del, and she is a huge part of things, not a sidekick at all but a true partner.

Joan Hess has two entertaining mystery series with female protagonits - the Arly Hanks “Maggody” books and the Claire Malloy books.

Also recommend Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody mysteries - period egyptology mysteries with probably my favorite female character out there. Best if you start at the beginning with “Crocodile on the Sandbank” and read them in order if possible.

Kat Richardson’s “Greywalker” series is excellent.

I quite dig Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series starting with Moon Called. She has writtern a few other books, which I haven’t read, but I do know they all feature female protagonists.
And also Kat Richardson’s Greywalker series.

Based on your strong like of Janet Evanovitch, possibly you might like Julie Kenner’s series about a demon hunting soccer mom, or Kim Harrison’s Hollows series.

word of warning, these are all fantasy books. I read mostly SF. The only non-SF novel that I’d recommend that fits the OP unfortunately I can’t remember the title of. It was somethign I’d borrowed from my grandmother.

If you like fantasy, try the Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon: *Sheepfarmer’s Daughter, Divided Allegiance, *and Oath of Gold. Another fantasy series is Barbara Hambly’s Windrose chronicles: *The Silent Tower, The Silicon Mage, *and Dog Wizard. This series has both a male and female main character, and female supporting characters as well. The women are not just love interests or mothers…they actually have jobs and interests of their own.

I agree that Joan Hess’s books are entertaining. The Claire Malloy books are especially fun if you’ve lived through having an adolescent daughter, and the Arly Hanks/Maggody books are about a woman who is THE police force in a small town full of interesting characters. I particularly like Raz Buchanon’s pedigreed sow, Marjorie. Raz is very fond and protective of Marjorie. The Maggody books are better if you can read them in order, though they can also stand alone.

This. When the books stop being fun, stop reading them. I think that she’s up to 18 now, and she should have stopped a long time ago.

I came in to recommend the Maggody books. They’re funny as hell–the focus tends to be more on the wacky characters surrounding Arly than on the mystery itself. If possible, read them in chronological order, as there is some character development over the course of the series, although this is fairly peripheral.

Also in fantasy is Elizabeth Moon’s “Deed of Paksenarrion” series.

Linked book is actually a compilation of the first three novels with an additional couple sequels also available (and a couple books from the same setting but not about Paks).

Edit: Beated by Lynn Bodoni by one minute!

If you like fantasy:

God Stalk and its sequels in the Kencyr series by P. C. Hodgell.

The Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. (EDIT to which I was double ninjaed)

Patricia C. Wrede’s Cecelia and Kate series and her Magic & Malice duology.

Me too! (About reading the Maggody books in order.) How she do dat?

It’s one of my Stealth Admin powers. I’m also composing three emails on different accounts at this very moment. And drinking tea. All while suffering through dry socket (dental complication).

If I was organized, I’d be dangerous.

I enjoyed Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone series.