Books Read to You in School

I have wonderful memories of teachers reading to the class in elementary school. The most memorable books for me were Escape to Witch Mountain, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. My second grade teacher, Miss Haslam, read the last and she did the best voice for Willy Wonka that I’ve ever heard.

Anybody else have memories of specific books that were read to you in school?

When I was in grade 4 our teacher read a Greek myth to us one a week. I loved that class.

“The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” - not a bad kids book and I think I heard that one three times from different teachers!

In fourth grade, our teacher read us Bunnicula over the course of a week or two. We were enthralled. And then all bought it from that bimonthly Scholastic Book catalog thingie.

I think all of my elementary school teachers read to us, but my 3rd grade teacher was the best at reading aloud. It probably helped that she usually or always read us Roald Dahl books. I specifically remember Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, The BFG, and The Witches. I think she also read us Danny, the Champion of the World, but we may have just watched the movie.

I don’t remember many of the books read to the class in other years, but my 5th grade teacher read us Judy Blume’s Blubber and my 1st grade teacher read us a book about a Cocker spaniel that became a champion in different types of dog competitions. A quick Google tells me it was likely Champion Dog Prince Tom by Jean Fritz. It also sticks in my mind that my 1st grade teacher read us Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”. I also had a teacher or teachers who read to us from Shel Silverstein’s Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic, although I don’t remember which grades this was.

Yes, this one.

There were others, but the only one I remember now is Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

We got The Hobbit read to us by our teacher. It’s actually my most vivid and fond memory of primary school. She was really, really good at the voices and the songs.

As an aside, and in retrospect, Mrs A was clearly a massive hippy and Tolkien freak, attested to by the fact that her daughter, in the year below, was called Tinuviel.

“From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler” and a book about a kid who had a volcano in his basement (that he considered almost a pet) are the two that I remember.

“The Fitches’ Fabulous Furnace” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006C2U9Q?ie=UTF8

9th Grade English, the teacher had a copy of Tale of Two Cities narrated on records. She set aside about 10 mins of class time and played the records. Took several weeks to get through the book and discuss it.

Sir MacHinery in fifth grade. The teacher would only read about one chapter a week. I got impatient and borrowed her copy one weekend, so I could read the entire book in one sitting.

I only had one teacher read a book to the class , it was when I was in JR high ,
and in the reject class , this was common with hard of hearing students when I was growing. The teacher was reading’ Homer and the donut machine’ and we had one student that must of had Asperger’s but no one really knew about it then .
The boy was really enjoying the story and laughing really so hard it was
contagious so the whole joyed in with him. The bitch of a teacher stopped reading and said to the boy . “Joe they’re not laughing with you , they’re laughing at you!” Joe was not his real name , I was so angry at that bitch ! The whole class was ! I am sorry but this only story I can remember , I didn’t get my first hearing aid until I was 8 yo so I really never heard what was being said in school .

The one where he little brother eats the tiny turtle. (checks) **Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing **
I think I had already read it and had to keep from spoiling it for my classmates. I’m not sure if I succeeded. :frowning:

:slight_smile: Beyond what we could buy with our modest allowances, this was the one thing we were allowed to request out parents buy. So exciting to examine this and make our choices!

I can remember only one book read by a teacher (doubtless there were others, but this was more than 60 years ago). It was Kipling’s The Jungle Book.

My fourth grade teacher read one of the Frank Baum Oz books to us, some later adventure. Also a book about a white pioneer woman captured by Indians, don’t remember the titles.

Charlotte’s Web

I had that in the second grade. In the first grade, my class was read *The Wonderful Wizard of Oz *. I was rather surprised about how much more of the story there was after the Wicked Witch of the West got killed.

Where the Red Fern Grows was read to me in 4th grade.

As a teacher, I have read The House With the Clock In Its Walls almost every year and it is a huge hit with all middle schoolers.

My third grade teacher read us Ramona the Pest, and this was my introduction to Beverly Cleary, I think within a year I had read all her books. The third grade teach from the other class (they team taught a lot) read an Encyclopedia Brown story to us, and asked if any of us could figure out the solution, and after thinking a minute, I solved it (it was the one where the chocolate bar should have melted). It was one of those shining moments, you never forget. That was also my introduction to Encyclopedia Brown, and Donald Sobol kept writing the books for years after, and every time a new one came out, I’d get it, even if I was a little old for it; it was still thrilling when I could figure out the case.