Books you want to read

Until I get done with this year’s coursework, I’ve given myself a ban on new reading material. Until then, I’m amusing myself by thinking of books I would get if I were turned loose in a bookstore.

Cherry by Mary Karr
I have a copy ready and waiting for the minute I’ve turned in my experimental psych paper. A friend is keeping it in protective custody at her house so I won’t be distracted.

At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O’Neill

Culture Shock! India
I love the Culture Shock! series. So far, I’ve read about Great Britain, France, Italy, Turkey, Iran, and Ireland.

Culture Shock! USA
I’m curious about what kind of etiquette and customs advice is offered to visitors in my home country.

Culture Shock! USA The South
I really curious about what advice is offered for a region that apparently merits its own book. I also want to see if they say anything about the beef/pork barbecue schism.

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle

Okay, here’s my (much shorter) list:

Ariel, by Steven R. Boyett. I think that’s his name. Anyway, he wrote The Architect of Sleep many years ago, and it’s always been one of my favorite books, despite the fact that it ended on a HELL of a cliffhanger, and there’s almost a zero chance that he’ll ever finish it. Still, so good it gets me misty-eyed every time I’ve read it (12 times, so far). Out of print.

Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?, by John R. Powers. I read one of his other books, The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God, back in high school, and actually did two book reports on it. Damn good, as I recall. Both are out of print.

I need to make more money, so I can afford to buy faster than I read.

American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer