Both a king and a queen

…which has me musing - what happens among the lower ranks of nobility, if a woman who holds a title in her own right marries. Is there a “general rule”? Do they get a title at all, or a lesser one?

In Britain, the husband of a titled woman gets no title whatsoever from marriage. (That’s true at all levels there. Prince Philip has no titles or styles that result directly from his being married to the Queen. Obviously he wouldn’t have been given a dukedom had he not married the heiress nearly apparent in 1947, but he still holds it in his own right.)

Kings David, Solomon, and others of that era had whole bunches of wives. What was the protocol in those days for how those wives were styled?

And part of the reason why Queen Jadwiga was crowned as ‘King of Poland’, though she was in fact a nearly powerless pawn.

Their names are Carl Gustaf and Silvia.

The woman will always use the superior title that she is entitled to use. So in Downton Abbey, when Lady Mary Crawley married Matthew Crawley , she became Lady Mary Crawley:dubious:. Okay bad example, but still she kept the title from her father.
Same way when Lady Diana Spencer married the Prince of Wales, she became the Princess of Wales.

Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, the Queen’s niece, married Daniel Chatto and is now Lady Sarah Chatto.

The Master speaks on consorts vs. regnants.

It would be hell to plan the menu for a family reunion cookout.

Now that the question’s been answered seriously: Did anyone else read the subject and read it as “what if the king turned out to be gay?”

In the UK, there are moves to allow a future gay monarch to have their partner styled king or queen consort, and for the biological children of the monarch (but not their partner) to be included in the rights of succession:

U.K.: Law Proposed to Accommodate a Gay King or Queen

It’s only a proposal, but, given the length of time before it’s likely to have any effect (when Will and Kate’s kid succeeds to the throne in maybe fifty years), that it’s even being taken seriously now suggests a good chance it will be law by then.

Although he married and fathered children, James VI of Sccots and I of England was widely regarded at the time to be somewhat effeminate and to have an eye for handsome young men for his ‘favourites’. Recalling Elizabeth’s famous address to the people, one wag commented, “Elizabeth was our king, and now James is our queen.” :slight_smile:

There’s always the case of Maria Theresa, who was King of Hungary (perhaps because Hungarian doesn’t have a feminine form for a ruling female?), but Archduchess of Austria and Empress of the HRE.

Just the ishah “woman; wife”; you might think there would already be a special word for “queen” but there wasn’t. In Anglo-Saxon, cwen didn’t mean anything more than “woman; wife” either.

Queen Elizabeth II is also the Duke of Normandy, Duke of Lancaster and the Lord of Mann.

I think the husband of a regnant Queen is either the King or the Prince Consort. Prince Albert, husband of regnant Queen Victoria, was His Royal Highness The Prince Consort.

Before some trouble-maker shows up: No, queen is NOT cognate to wench :cool: :

I think Hungarian was seperate words for queen-consort and queen-regant. The word for queen-regnant might just be the word for king with a feminine suffix on the end. And while Maria Theresa was Archducess of Austria and Queen of Hungary in her own right she was only the Holy Roman Empress by marriage; her husband was elected HRE and he delegate whatever authority he had to his wife. Then when he died her son was elected HRE, but had to wait until she died to have any real power.

Victoria wanted Albert to be made King-Consort, but her government was opposed to the idea. He didn’t want a peerage so she just made him a prince of the UK promoted him to “Royal Highness” (her was born His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha)… For the first 17 yrs of marriage he was “HRH Prince Albert”. It was the press that coined the phrase “prince consort” and Victoria formally granted him that style in 1857. He’s the only one; Queen Elizabeth II has never created her husband Prince Consort (her father created him Duke of Edinburgh on their wedding day).

In my new favorite site, Britroyals, they say differently of She-of-the-photographed-breasts, who will become Queen Catherine.

Boo-boo? The site seems pretty serious.

Also, I like the way they say “…if William accedes to the throne.” (My italics.)

I hadn’t realized – Prince William is 30. Tempus fugit.