Boxing sucks. That's the bottom line.

THAN :smack:

Kevin McBride once lost a fight to a fat guy with a 15-16 career record. It’s not racist to say he’s crap!

I AM a white boy, and you know what? I know a palooka when I see it. Tex Cobb is lucky he can still walk. He’s the toughest man I ever saw, but when all was said and done after the fight he looked like the side of beef in Rocky. Cooney got pounded so many times he was like Golota: a decent ham-and-egger that just can’t get it done against quality opponents. McBride? Read the article. He’s almost over the hill, fighting a quitter, and prior to this fight he had very little to reommend himself. Of course, beating Tyson isn’t anything special anymore, either.

Of all the times to pull out race. You’re ridiculous. And that from someone who has gone against affirmative action in the past and despises people who claim racism left and right. Let me clue you in on something: NOT EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY IS ABOUT RACE.

I should have mentioned that the fat guy was on a 7 fight losing streak previous to fighting McBride…

Maybe not, but, according to the Newfield article i linked above, race is a factor in the current awful state of boxing.

This has nothing to do with whether blacks or whites are “naturally” better boxers, but it does have to do with the financial attraction, for many boxing promoters, of getting a white guy on the card in a championship fight.

As Newfield points out:

Promoters like King are, themselves, shameless exploiters of racial tensions in their unending grasp for cash.

This article wasn’t written by someone out to get boxing. Newfield wants to save it. He’s been a boxing reporter for over 40 years, working for the Village Voice, the New York Daily News and the New York Post. He won an Emmy in 1991 for his documentary Don King: Unauthorized.

No, the heavyweight division is no good because CHUMPS hold the title. The white titleholder is a better boxer than the other three champions and he STILL sucks. (ftr, Vitali Klitschko of the WBC, John Ruiz of the WBO, Chris Byrd of the IBF, and Lamon Brewster of the WBA). There are your champions, and I wouldn’t take any of them against Lennox Lewis or even a 45-year-old Foreman.

Umm… yeah, they are.

No, Tyson is washed up because he lost to Kevin McBride, who, irrespective of the color of his skin, has comparable hand speed to a glacier. Tyson is washed up because he lost to Kevin McBride, a dude who was undergoing HYPNOSIS to increase his pain threshold and calm his performance anxiety. Tyson is washed up because he lost to Kevin McBride, a dude who was some other poor bastard’s only win in seventeen fights. Tyson is washed up because he lost to a SLOW, FRAIDY-CAT, LOSER, that he even picked himfuckingSELF. Race has nothing to do with the fact that Tyson was alloed to pick the biggest loser in boxing, and that loser beat him. Beat him BAD. Beat him to the point where tyson had all of the sixth-round break to think about that one uppercut and decide he’d had enough. Where does race come into any of that, O mighty boxing analyst?

No one says he’s not. You just wanted to get to this part of your rant:

which has nothing to do with anything at all. Different eras, different rules, and all that.

That was me. I implied that Irish and English boxers are chumps.

Regardless of citizenship or lineage, Lennox Lewis is Canadian. Even Kevin McBride is American, for all intents and purposes. It was me that implied that Irish and English boxers are chumps. And I’m Irish, in case you didn’t know.

Oh, and about standing there and letting you hit me… you really have no idea what boxing is about, do you? :wally
OK, now that we’ve addressed the idiocy of your post by pointing out that you know little about the Tyson fight and NOTHING about boxing, let me use you as an example in my other little pet peeve, highlighting your dumbness yet again:

It’s the INTERNET. You have no idea who I am, how big or small I am, what I do, and how capable I am of taking you apart piece by piece. Let me ask you a question, genius. Just how exactly, are you going to make good on this threat of yours?

Good grief. There aren’t enough rolleyes to respond to a threat of physical violence over the fucking INTERNET.

So, let me get this straight:

Klitschko holds the title, the division is boring,

but when Lewis holds the title, it’s not?

Because that is what you seem to imply this with:

To your credit you state that Lewis is not fit to hold Tyson’s jock (which there are plenty of people like yourself that would love to), but it seems to me that many boxing aficionados weren’t complaining as much when Lewis did held the title.

How is Klitschko less boring than Lewis? And another thing, Holyfield was great and would have been one of the greatest if Tyson would have fought him before Douglas kicked his ass. Seems to me that the most powerful fighter in the Universe was a little hesitant to fight Holyfield back in the day.

Oh yeah, Cobb and Clooney were chumps as is McBride. But what about John L. Sullivan or Tunney or Dempsey or Rocky Marciano? Oh I forgot, Marciano had the mob to help him make those opponents take dives right? I would like to see you take one from Suzy Q and stand up on two legs afterwards.

As far as the race card, I think racism is ridiculous on both sides. The belief that white people can’t play sports, or be soul singers or whatever is just as idiotic as believing that blacks can’t be intellectuals or businessmen or whatever. But there is a real tendency for BOTH beliefs and they are indicative of a greater problem in our society. I don’t mean to hijack this thread but it seems to me that this conversation was echoing part of this prejudice.

My impressions are valid. Either respond to them or not but don’t call me an idiot thinking that that takes me out because it does not. It makes you look like an idiot.

Whoa! That’s some real mental rope-a-dope. Irish and English boxers are chumps BUT if I threw a punch at you, your superior Irish skill would help you dodge it? It’s a good thing I’m Irish too which would mean that I wouldn’t really know how to punch in the first place and that would help you inaffectually dodge it right?

You really are a bit thick, aren’t you?

Nice one. I mean, I’m speechless… Your ability to argue your point (whatever it is) is incomprehensible. Really. Your argument has completely ruined me. Your arguing ability, like pup’s boxing prowess, is intangibly brilliant. I am in awe. Between your dethroning counter argument and Scrappy’s answer to my internet “threat” with an internet counter threat, I don’t know what to do. You really got the best of me. Wow.

Put down the the bong dumbass because the only one thick around here is you. Think as a brick.

Well, you completely missed the point that the person you were responding to was making. But i guess if you can’t work out what it was, we can’t expect you to formulate an intelligent response.

My electrons are bigger than your electrons.

It isn’t widely known, but our current SDMB lead hamster (“Flash Gordo”) recently raped and savaged a wolverine. We bad. I once made a Marine eat a bug. (Well, he was my cousin, and we were like eight at the time, but he became a Marine later…)

How in the world was I threatening you, Highwayman?
The point I was making was twofold:

That if you expect people to stand there and let you hit them, you’re stupid,

and that if you’re threatening people over the internet, you’re stupid.

That’s all.

Get over yourself and find a different thread to shit in, because your idiocy is making you look worse and worse.

But serially, folks…

I love prizefighting. I dig the shit out of watching tapes and films of Ali when he was God. He was beautiful, and I mean Sistine Chapel beautiful.

But its awful, and cruel, and dark. For every one who makes the big time, there’s a thousand young men getting thier nuerons scrambled for chump change, being a professional boxer is no better than being a professional meth addict. Don King feeds on the blood of the living, he’s an convicted murderer who’s moved down scale to prizefight promoter. A prizefight promoter combines the compassion of a banker and the morals of a pimp. I would vote to outlaw prizefighting in a heartbeat, without a moment’s hesitation.

And if there’s a good match on tonight, between a couple of serious contenders, I’ll probably watch. As always, purity eludes me.

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup, just because you say it, doesn’t make it so.

First off, you stated, that you were the one who implied that Irish and English boxers were chumps. Go look it up again if you doubt me recounting your own words. Was I supposed to catch something there? Was that statement hyperbole, rhetoric, or sarcasm? Since it was stated in the midst of an argument rendered, apparently up until that point, without any literary device, I assumed it was in the same stylistic framework. Fuck me for thinking you people maintain the same style within paragraphs without fair warning. Then you state, DIRECTLY AFTERWARDS, in a seeming machismo induced stupor, answering my internet “threat” with one as pointless of your own. It was humorous to me because you just got through talking about how useless internet threats are. It’s okay, you can admit it, it’s right there for the world to see. However, I agree on this point. I should have stipulated in my first post that I was speaking rhetorically towards no one in particular. Anyone who knows how to fight never thinks that they can beat an unknown opponent at random. That would be stupid.

But at least you make a point to back your argument to some degree. This I appreciate. I really think that I deserve more respect. I want some better insults. I promise not to hold a grudge. Mhendo really needs to learn this trick because he is sounding like a dumbass. I have no inclination to reward his unsupported insults with a remark. However, I’ll give him a chance to redeem himself.

Elucidator deserves my utmost respect. Fine phrase turning my friend.

One last thing, don’t talk about “shitting” in a thread that includes analysis of Don King’s practices. Give me a fucken break.

Bolding mine.

This from a guy whose first post in this thread contained the following:

If you think that is worthy of respect, you’ll be waiting a while to get any.

OK, i’ll spell it out for you, moron.

In the sentence i quoted above, you implied that you could refute the notion that Irish and English boxers were chumps by having someone stand in front of you and let you “sock them in their fucken face” (by the way, learn the difference between “their” and “there” douchebag).

Then Happy Scrappy Hero Pup suggested that this indicates that “you really have no idea what boxing is about.”

His point here, if i read him correctly, is that the ability to sock in the face someone who is standing there and not defending himself has absolutely nothing to do with an ability to box, which was the spurious connection that you were drawing. Anyone who has watched more than three minutes of boxing (i’m sure you have) and has more than four functioning neurons (this one i’m not so sure about) knows that there’s a lot more to boxing than the ability to throw a punch. Plenty of hard hitters in the sport of boxing end up on the losing end of the deal because they have no defence, or they have no stamina, or they just lack the skill to land a decent punch.

In case you’re having difficulty following this, let me sum it up: the fact that you might be able to hurt someone who is willing to “stand their and let [you] sock them in their fucken face” says absolutely nothing about your ability as a boxer. And it says even less about the ability of Irish and Enlglish boxers as a group.

Got it, dumbass?

Well since we are horribly off topic, why not?

Since I take it that you have watched more than, as you say, 3 minutes, I would expect you know that the common person does not generally know how to throw a punch. Now, I’m not saying that I’m a fucken expert but I have taken punches on my chin from people who do not know how. It really doesn’t do much damage. So, I reason that throwing and taking a punch has a great deal to do with boxing.

And that’s “MR. DOUCHE BAG” to you.

Well, let’s hope that one day you can stitch that on the back of a silk robe.

Bill O’Reilly would sue.

One of the first fights I ever saw live as it was happening was Ray Mancini beat up and kill Duk Koo Kim. Both men fought bravely with big hearts and because they both wouldn’t quit Kim died. That’s the nature of the sport and I haven’t watched a boxing match since.