Boxing sucks. That's the bottom line.

Then why the hell are they wasting time with body shots?

And what’s with the calls for banning the sport? Further pussification of men is what it seems like. Look at men like Tyson. They’re given a shot in the world based on the one thing they truly accel at. In a forum that has rules and regulations. This isn’t street-brawling. And if the boxer breaks those rules, he’s punished.

Men have some carry-over in the system to want to prove dominance. I’d rather see those that can’t control the urge to do it in the ring, rather than on a street corner. So would you.

Boxing’s biggest problem? Don fucking King. You want to look for the core of Tyson’s downfall? Look no futher folks. And brain damage being the sole purpose of the sport? How about murder? Captain Shitbag is the only one I know of in boxing that has intentionally caused death. The fucking biggest promoter is more dangerous than any boxer.

Boxing (and prize fighting in general) has been with us for more years than I care to count. It will continue to flourish in its own way. It just won’t be hyped to the level of $50 per fight like The Scumbag has gotten us used to. On top of that, and here’s the biggie, THESE MEN TRAIN FOR YEARS TO DO THIS!!! It’s the profession they chose. But like many other things these days, a group of people seem to think they know better than everyone else what people should be doing. Ban boxing? You’re asking for Fight Club-style fighting. No rules, no regulation, etc.

I’ve been torn on Tyson for the past few years. I watched this guy go from the top of the world as the most awe-inspiring boxer I may ever see, to a shell of a man just looking to make his way in a world he’s never understood. I know it sounds feel-good, but given his life until King came around, he actually had a chance to excel from a pile of shit he was dealt. He shows flashes of humanity, only to be sunk by his own lack of self-control.

I was hoping McBride would win the fight. Tyson’s carreer was over a couple years ago. I was hoping to see some new blood make a name for himself for future contention. I was also hoping though, that Tyson would show he still had something left in his swan song. However, he fought like he did 15 years ago. Going for the 7 second KO. In all these years he never was properly trained in fighting for the win. Only for the quick KO. I suspect in 30 years he will be seen as one of the most tragic sports figures to box.

I’ve never liked his public persona, but I feel sad for the man.

Slow, I’ll grant you. Mcbride could throw a punch and not have it land until the next round.

fraidy Cat? I haven’t heard of Mcbride dodging anyone. he’s fought who he’s put up against. plus, he got in the ring with Tyson, something you or I wouldn’t do.

Loser? his record now stands at 33 (28 ko’s) 4 losses and a draw. Not a terrible record.

Well 99.9% of boxers manage not to bite. Or rape for that matter (though that is not about his boxing). Boxing is a “gentlemans sport”…Tyson’s manner isn’t sporting and he certainly isn’t a gentleman.

Evander was a gentleman for taking Tysons shit in the way that he did. Tyson should be banned for life.

It makes it more likely to be able to get another good head shot in eventually.

The Highwayman is not worth the bandwidth. mhendo is correct in his interpretation of my remarks.
TwistofFate, I used the word “fraidy-cat” because McBride had/has been seeing a hypnotist to get him over performance/big-fight anxiety.
The purpose of a body shot is to fatigue your opponent. Good shots to the body are worth just as much as head shots and can sap the will of your opponent when landed consistently.

and that’s a basis to insult him?
he saw there was a problem and recieved treatment to correct it.

I think you’re going out of your way to find fault with the guy. He’s an ok boxer, nothing special, not world class, but you can hardly blame the guy for trying his best.

Wanted. Unfortunately, we lost Newfield last December.

And much as I respect(ed) Newfield, I don’t agree with his opinion about the “yearning for a white champion” or any other “New Yorkers” yearned for another, um, “New York” champion. Maybe we (whiteys) do, but I’ve never felt that way, and none of the the many similarly coated boxing fans I’ve known over the years never indicated it.

You have watched boxing before, haven’t you? You do understand the idea behind boxing technique, don’t you? This sentence doesn’t make that very clear at all.

Since I’m pretty sure you don’t understand the intent of a body blow, I’ll tell you-it’s to scramble the guys guts so bad that he can’t defend his head so you can scramble his brains, too.

You’re welcome.

Sam

In reality Gawd, duffer has problems with the techniques of a cardboarf box, never mind boxing.

Huh? Assuming that’s a personal insult from left field, allow me a moment to mock you for not spelling it right. OK, now go away little one.
GaWd, from what I know of technique and what (amateur) boxers I know have told me, the body shots are to systematically wear down an opponent and decrease overall stamina. Yes, KO’s are good for TV and sportswriter, and an impressive overall stat, the point is to get your opponent to a point where he simply can’t go on.

Maybe it would help explain the kind of boxing I like to give you a better idea of what I meant. I prefer to see a full 12 rounds, ending in a TKO, forfeit or (if the judges are honest) a decision. What was that line in Bull Durham about strike-outs being fascist or something? I used to be thrilled by KO’s that Tyson used to perform. I mean, watching one man win a bout in seconds because of little more than brute strength and opportunistic instinct? That’s impressive. Other than that, I want to see a guy take the sport serious enough to learn proper defensive technique and really train for the stamina to slog through a fight.

I’m no expert on the sport, never have nor will pretend to be. Just piping up with where I’m coming from. Take it for what it’s worth.

I’m no expert either, but I promise you that most guys don’t go into the ring with the intent being finishing 10-12 rounds. They strike the body so the other guy is so exhausted that he cannot defend himself. Eventually, an opportunity for a headshot, or an absolutely crippling body shot will present itself and you’ve got your KO/TKO.

Sam

TwistofFate, I wasn’t so much insulting McBride as I was offering a pretty compelling reason as to why Tyson would want to fight him.
If you were going to throw me into the ring (especially with what Tyson had on the line), and I had the choice between two guys, one of whom was seeing a hypnotist because he felt he didn’t have enough killer instinct, I’d certainly pick that guy.

The primary reason of body shots is to take a guy’s wind (stamina) away. This is part of a long range plan to win a fight by slowing and weakening your opponent, “taking away his legs”. It’s not just a long range plan to achieve a better head shot.

The secondary reason is to force a guy to drop his guard so that you may more easily land to the head.

The tertiary reason is to score a direct knock out from a body blow, typically a left hook to the liver. This seems to have become a larger part of the boxing repertoire in recent years, particularly among Mexican fighters, and has probably becaome as strong a tactical reason as forcing the other guy to drop his guard.

Bernard Hopkins dropped De La Hoya with a text book left to the body. De La Hoya claimed, “I just couldn’t get up”. I believe Ricardo Mayorga also beat Vernon Forrest with a left to the liver in the fight that propelled him to fame.

Duffer is essentially right on this one, and Qagdop is exaggerating a tad to say that the implicit imperative in boxing is to cause brain injury. The imperative is to win fights. A lot of guys do that without many knockouts along the way.

However, I’m not naive enough to think that fighters aren’t primarily going for the head shot knock out. I’ll also admit that as a big boxing fan, blood and knockouts and seeing guys put into stupors is major part of the appeal to me.

Nice. I went to see a boxing fight and a thread broke out! :stuck_out_tongue:

Airman: Tune into the increasing number of broadcasts of Ultimate Fighting Championships. They’re a lot more interesting than Boxing.

I suppose great minds think alike right? Do YOU know the difference between “there” and “their”? I take it back, I have no respect for you, you pusillanimous twat-faced chump.

Okay. I could have started a new thread for this but I figured a fair number of boxing fans might perk up more this way. This isn’t quite to zombie status, is it?

It may have been being promoted earlier, but it was just last night that I saw that ESPN Classic is doing an Ali Marathon – 55 hours worth starting at noon (ET) Saturday.

I plan to watch a lot of it. (Caught the replay on HBO of the Gatti-Mayweather fiasco last night and felt really bad for Mickey Ward.)