Bracing for the holidays in the MMP

The last clothes I got rid of, some of them very nice, I put in one of those donation boxes they have at gas stations. I’ve heard that a lot of those clothes get sent to Africa where they are cut up (or sold whole). I thought it would be a shame to cut up my nicer clothes. I thought about Goodwill or the Salvation Army, but I’m not sure they don’t exploit their employees. I thought local church would be able to get them to people who need them.

Bracing for the holidays - that’s about right. These days my coping strategy (for most things, actually) is to pretend it isn’t happening, but it’s getting harder. For a couple of weeks now, Channel 5 (one of our main terrestrial TV channels) has been showing two Xmas movies a day with four on Saturdays. Today’s were: A Star-Crossed Christmas and Christmas Under Wraps.

I don’t remember for this year, but last year I heard my first Xmas advert in July (! - no word of a lie - over a store PA - “It’s never too early to start planning for Christmas…

You know what? Sometimes it is. :wink:

j

No missed bulletins. This only happened last night. It’s kind of a gross story, so I’ll spare the details.

Bah, hum-f*%k. :wink:

Actually for a lot of reasons we basically quit doing the holiday. Makes it a ton easier on me. And doing some Santa gigs and stuff I get to help others make memories. So all in all not a bad thing.

Got a little bit of yard irk done. At the rate we are going we should be done by spring.

Next to last music lesson is today. Rap meets Rock, and the can’t be classified. So it will be Red Hot Chili Peppers, RadioHead, Kid Rock, Beck, and Rage Against the Machine. The last chapter is about YouTube and American Idol, which I have never watched.
Then he has one last paper to write and the final.

As for American Idol, I think I’ve only seen clips of the bad singers on YouTube.

As far as the holidays are concerned, I’m still a kid. My parents are still alive, live in town, and my mom loves doing the holiday thing. So I just go over there. Buying presents is a bit painful (all my siblings are married and have tons of kids. It’d probably chafe less if they didn’t give me gifts ‘as a family’ (read: one gift from them, six gifts from me)) but other than that, the holiday is a lark. I go over there and bask in the fun and family and free meals as much as I want, then come home to my apartment when I’ve had enough.

For my own part, I do basically nothing. I don’t even put up a tree.

My car won’t be ready till tomorrow - the coupling they had to replace was more of a challenge than they’d expected - which means I have to drive the truck tomorrow. ugh.

It’s raining - glad I got the leaves done today.

Supper was meh. **FCD **wants me to read a report he worked on all weekend - heat flow and vibration analysis for the heat sink and antenna that he’s been working on for months. Thus endeth my 3-day weekend.

I never got into any of those types of shows, American Idol, America’s Got Talent, Dancing With the Stars, whatever.

It’s raining, at least we got some of the leaves done today.

**Wifey ** records that show, and the slightly less obnoxious The Voice, so I get to experience it second hand, so to speak, unless I can find something to do elsewhere on the property. As far as I’ve heard, 90% of the people they have on there are bad singers.

Mooooom, while you may not have had any duties in prepping the holiday dinners as a kid, my mother would put us to work for whichever holiday she hosted for her family. It was always a potluck (~75 people), we did a ham, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, etc. Us kids had to do the cleaning, setting up the tables and chairs in teh house, on the wrap around porch and a large catering type tent (with heaters) outside.

Johnny, good on you for both the weight loss and giving the clothing to a worthy charity.

Hope your head feels better soon emily.

One of the things I’ve noticed this year is that Kroger’s ads right now are actually playing Thanksgiving music (Over the River and Through the Woods). I’ll be up north for Thanksgiving. Two of my sisters, BILs, kiddos and pups will also be there. We’ll do a turkey for Thanksgiving and the day after, my cousin is coming over to work on some genealogy with me and I’ll be doing pirogies and stuffed cabbage for supper as well as making some for the freezer for Dad.

It’s rainy and raw here in middle Tennessee. It’s the kind of weather that makes you want to stay indoors until Spring.

Our weather continues warm for the next few days then we are expecting lows in the upper 60’s. Brrrrr.

Three day weekend over. Sad about that.

Howdy Y’all! I spiffed da cave and was in the midst of makin’ chikin ‘n dumplin’s when OYKW called and said Sonny’s was havin’ a special on their bbq poke sammich combos. He was hankerin’ for that, so we et there. Thus chikin ‘n dumplin’s (already made) will be supped tomorrow. I attended Vestry meetin’ and am now in da cave. 'Tis rainy out so glad to be inside and dry.

Johnny I gave away a bunch of my big clothes last year when I lost a lot of weight. There are two great places here that make sure good clothes get to people in need, The Lord’s Pantry (which also does clothes) and Neighbors In Need. I tokk stuff to both places because I knew they’d make sure those in need got 'em. Congrats on the weight loss, btw.

Midget like Bumba said, we don’t want any brain ooze so please get that checked out, OK?

As to the various comments re relatives. Unfortunately we can’t pick 'em cause they’re just already there. Fortunately, we can cut the toxic ones out of our lives for the most part. Those we love but get on our last nerves, well, we just learn to deal the best we can.

Midget take care of yourself and get your head checked out, please. :hug:

This is my favorite time of year. Starting with Halloween (Yay!), we run through Thanksgiving, my birthday, my niece’s birthday, my daughter’s birthday, Christmas, and my other niece’s birthday. It’s several weeks of fun and family all packed together. The rest of the year is meh by comparison. I like to host at least one family get together. My parents and my sister are also in the area, so I’m not sure which one I’ll get.

Worked, came home ,went to hockey, Canes won, but people were driving all erratic on the way home.

30 years of retail work have cured me of any desire to celebrate HallowHaunahChristKwanzaa. That and my store will be open regular hours on Thanksgiving and Christmas:mad: (but the pharmacy is closed for “business reasons”:dubious:).

{{{{Midget}}}} But get the head checked out. Oozing 'eads are only Ok if you’re watching Yellowbeard.

Work is quiet and slow. I have a feeling that ain’t gonna last.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 59 Amurrkin out and rainin’ with a predicted high of 66 and rain for the day. It rained all through the night. At one point it rained so hard I woke up, but went right back to sleep. TWPTB say a flash flood watch is in effect. Today shall be devoted to laundry and not much else. Since Netflix will not binge watch itself, I may have to give in and do my duty there as well. :smiley: Sup bein’ pretty much already made, that’ll be easy as well. I envision steamed broccoli and squish as the vegetative side matter.

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy demands to be fed. Then, onward into the day. Rah.

Happy Tuesday Y’all!

There is a teenager currently sleeping on the couch across from me. He is apparently here to stay indefinitely. We’re working on making the servant’s quarters into a bedroom. Until then, there are plenty of other places to sleep that do not disrupt the flow of the house. He’s having a rough time right now and I’m trying to be nice. However, I’ve been up since around 4 due to hearing him wander around before deciding on the couch. :smack:

Anyways… there isn’t much to the holidays here. I suppose we’ll eventually put up a tree. We all got our own ‘big’ gifts this year, so there will be few presents.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I absolutely LOVE that movie!! You win the MMP for the week!

I can already tell it’s gonna be one of *those *days. I was late leaving because, among other things, there was no garage door clicker in the truck, so I had to get out and close the door from the keypad… in the rain… and the dark… Then I got to work in a panic - did I have my office key?? Yes, I did, but it was buried in the bottom of my purse, so there were a few frantic moments as I felt around in the dark (dark outside, dark in the purse.)

Oh, yeah, and after I closed the garage door, I walked into the trailer hitch on the back of the truck.

One of *those *days… So, yeah, Happy Tuesday… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy Toosday!

It’s raining, but not that cold.

The day started too early and it’s already annoying.