Brain work correlated with intelligence

This is a the conclusion of a study using new MRI techonology at the MIND institute.

Although counterintitive, it would make sense that smarter people use less less brain work. Thinking harder is not thinking smarter. A genius would be able to think ‘easily’, with inferences, ideas, ect. coming to them almost automatically. Does this conclusion follow from your personal experience?

Sounds similar to the fact that “the person working hardest is not necessarily the person doing most or best work”.

But I don’t go through life sticking my coworkers into MRI scanners, so I don’t know if our different efficiencies correlate with the colored pictures.

Overly strong Assertion 1: A brain is just a computer.

Overly strong Assertion 2: The best computer programs use the least resources: size of program, computation time, memory, communication, etc.

Overly strong Conclusion: The best brains run really good programs.

Now, to really confuse things: Over the years, while the number of transistors in a CPU have gone up exponentially, the percentage of transistors doing anything useful during a clock cycle has also gone down exponentially. (Fortunately, the first is rising faster than the second else we’d be using 3GHz 386’s.) It’s almost as if, relatively speaking, the better the chip, the less of it gets really used.

Also, thinking is a big drain on energy, produces a lot of waste heat, etc. The more efficient your thinking, the less food you need. Stuff like that.

Well, sure it seems intuitively true. Those who are smarter don’t have to think about things as long before they understand them. Smarter people see solutions to problems sooner. I know when I’m not getting something, and I have to work at corralling my thoughts into an orderly pattern, and try really hard to see the connection between A and B, then my head literally starts to hurt. I’m thinking harder because I’m not getting it right away. At the same time, I’m “spinning” my mental wheels, running over the same thought process that doesn’t get me anywhere.

Asimov had a great essay once about what he called The Eureka Effect (it might even have been titled that) where he talks about how often the best way to solve a really hard problem is to stop thinking about it. He’d walk away from his office and go see a movie. A really fluffy popcorn adventure movie, to be precise. While his conscious mind was being entertained, at some deep unconscious level, his brain would be putting data together in news ways, and he’d more often than not walk out of the theater at the end of the movie with the answer to his problem.

I’m sure his brainscan would look a lot less active at the movie (at least in the “problem solving” areas), but once he got himself distracted out of his mental rut, the connections were made quickly and easily.

This makes sense in light of a recent study done at the National Institute of Mental Heath published this year…which seems to suggest the same thing. That is, that the brains of “high IQ” individuals might be wired more “efficiently.”

http://www.bri.ucla.edu/bri_weekly/news_060330.asp

‘We use ten percent of our brain’. I know this is an urban legend but in light of the recent study I’m not so sure anymore.

If a person of average intelligence uses ten percent of their brain then a genius would use one percent of their brain.