Brake Calipers: 4 pistons better than 2?

Assuming the size of the brake pads are similar, which brake caliper design is better?

My car currently has 2 piston floating calipers - that is, the two pistons are both on the inboard side. I may have the chance to pick up some fixed 4 piston (2 on each side) calipers for a modest sum and fit them on without too much difficulty. Is this worthwhile? Right now, I do feel my brakes are rather binary, with braking force increasing on a shallow curve for the first few inches of pedal travel, and then going up steeply. Not exactly the end of the world, I know, but if having more pistons will give a more even brake response, and/or increase braking torque, I might consider it.

2 is not necessarily better than 4.

You have some advantages in certain conditions, mainly when the brakes are going to be hard pressed, such as on a bike or a sport type vehicle, or even just something that uses very heavy braking for extended periods.

Having more pistons means they can be smaller and you spread them further around the brake disc.
This means that you can dissipate heat into the caliper more easily, so you are less likely to boil the fluid.

That said, it really depends on the design of the master cylinder, the ratios of the hydraulic parts so that you can get huge stopping power with less effort - but the counter to this is that it may well be difficult to modulate the brakes.

You do tend to find 4 or six piston brakes have a more precise feel, and o a bike this is important as really good riders can stay on the throttle while they are braking to have more drive out of the corners when they let go.

2 piston calipers are simple, reliable and well designed ones really make you wonder if there is a real justification for the higher cost of 4 pot brakes.