Brandeis University considers 'picnic' to be oppressive language

Alternatively, they could just leave things alone.

Um… What’s gendered about “sophomore”?

If they wanted to make the world better for women they could provide extra paid maternity leave for their employees.

It’s fascinating how big a deal “political correctness” is. I agree with some posters above that it does make some people think of the left as “loonies” and turn them to the right – I just can’t understand for the life of me why.

Like there aren’t big problems to solve like an ongoing pandemic and war on democracy but the real problem right now is a university I’ve never heard of offering guidance (not rules) on the use of some terms.
Given how big a deal Dr Seuss was, I’m sure this will be treated like the apocalypse on FOX.

Jordan Peterson’s whole public career was built on some bullshit about him being forced to use 20+ gender nouns.

And it’s one area of politics where my native UK is actually much the same as the US. “Political correctness gone MAD” sells a lot of papers and was even a core part of campaigns for brexit.

Exactly. Just a distraction from real issues – just like the CRT madness is and transgender athletes. While some people die of COVID and others face eviction, red state legislators everywhere are springing into action by banning teaching CRT to kindergarten kids and banning the hordes of transgender athletes from competing in sports.

Known as the Euphemism Treadmill.

Count me among those who are all for a better, more inclusive society, but thinks things are getting a bit nuts.

“Thug” is a pet peeve of mine. When I think of a thug, two ideas come to mind: Stereotypical mafioso, or those loser white kids I knew in HS. I resent being told that it’s a racist term.

Somehow I have lived in the US for over 30 years among 95% white of Asian people and have never heard “thug” used to refer to anything other than a black urban male in the last 20 years.

I’m with OldOlds. Of course I’ve heard urban Black males being referred to as thugs. Almost always it’s been Conservative White males using it that way. But mostly in my life the association has been to organised crime ‘enforcers’ or (usually White) violent criminals who think they are dons. The other connotation I think of is when it is specifically referring to the Thugs.

Really?

This is precisely the kind of unforced error rhetoric that serves to undermine progressives.

Putin has been repeatedly called a thug by McCain. Assad has been called a thug by Kerry & various media. Biden called Kim Jong Un a thug.

You live in a different world than I.

I’m talking about in real life

I think most of us are. Thug has never been oriented towards African Americans in my experience.

20 years ago, sure. Now not so much.

“Thug Life” was popularized and glorified by black musicians like Tupac Shakur about 20 years ago (1994).

We’ve just had four years of a president actively promoting racism. Before that, we had a Black president and eight years of racists spreading pejoratives against him. Before that, we had eight years of a president whose base was clearly xenophobic. And of course as QuickSilver posted, Tupac Shakur popularised and glorified ‘Thug Life’ in the Black community.

But the usage as ‘mob enforcer’ or ‘petty criminal’ without allusions to race have been around much longer – as have I.

I know. That’s the predominant use now. By both Black and other people.

Tupac doesn’t get to own Thug any more than Gilligan’s Island gets to own Professor.

And just because a minority may be referred to by a pejorative, that shouldn’t make that pejorative suddenly racist.

My guess is that people who immediately think of black folks when they hear “thug” also think of black folks when they hear “drug addict” or “criminal”

The problem isn’t the word.

Absurd news always inflames people more than non-absurd news. Imagine if some conservative university wanted society to ban the use of the word “abort” in reference to “aborted takeoff” or “aborted launch,” because of - well, abortion. Would that be important news? Not really, in light of all other societal issues going on. But the sheer lunacy of it would probably generate a good deal of liberal chatter on Reddit, etc.

I would add that, IMHO, one reason such behavior generates such terror and revulsion among some people is that people always have certain fears about what they imagine the other side “truly” wants to do to them. When a university suggests ditching the term “picnic”, the right wing feels like it has just caught a glimpse - a true window into the soul of the left, if you will - of what liberals really want to do to them. It’s like an aha moment for them - “see!? That’s what’s truly in their minds, they just haven’t revealed the full scale and scope of it to us yet!”

Probably a bit. But these are major news networks that are feeding this.

The University in the OP isn’t banning any words.