Braniac: "I can do science, me"?

On the British show Braniac, they have a section where viewers get brought in and do their own experiments, and then they get a trophy that says “I can do science, me”. My response was “huh??”

What kind of grammar is that? Is it a reference to something, or some particular English accent?

It’s a common British-English construction. Maybe it’s regional and I don’t know enough to tell you what region it’s from, but I’ve heard it quite a bit, me.

–Cliffy

Not that it has anything to do with the show, it’s also common Cajun grammar, especially when “me” is used as emphasis.

It’s not meant to be a correct construction but it is one that is widely used as a sort of joke

The joke lies in the claim to be possoessed of impressive abilities while speaking in such a childish/incorrect way, if that makes sense.

It’s a bit like the one about “Last week I couldn’t even spell teecher. Now I are one”.
I’m not sure whether I am helping or merely adding to the confusion.

Interesting, I’ve never heard British person use this construction.

Clearly, you haven’t met my husband. He uses it all the time. I even made something for him with “I’m ace, me!” on it. He is from Yorkshire and just told me that he thinks that construction is common there.

Its often heard in Manchester.

It also shows up a lot in The Full Monty, which is set in Sheffield.

Yer, it’s Northern English, like.

I’m from Liverpool, me, so it’s like what I am.

Ditto on the hubby from Yorkshire, and the “I’m ace, me” thing.

Small world, Sierra Indigo. We need to get amarone’s wife to join us and form a club. :slight_smile:

It is cute when they say that, isn’t it? Hearing my husband say “I’m ace, me” and hearing him pronounce “naughty” always makes me giggle.

It’s just an amusing construct you use to emphasis that you are talking about yourself and are proud of it.

An alternative would be “See me, see science?”

I used to adopt a ‘Pete Puma’ voice and say, ‘I’m a pilot, me!’

Don’t know where I got it. Probably out of a comi… ‘graphic novel’.

It’s like if you were talking about Scotland you might say “It’s very rainy, Scotland is.” Have you heard that? So “I can do science, I can.” One more step and you’ve got “It’s very rainy, Scotland.” and “I can do science, me.”

It’s used all the time up North. Proclaiming yourself to be “ace” would be a bit bigheaded. Appending the “me” makes it more jokey. Where I’m from usually “eh” is added to the end, as in “I’m ace me, eh?”.

Oi, “I’m ace, me!” is definitely jokey when me husband says it. :slight_smile:

The “I’m ___, me” construction is usually when he is kidding around, now that I think about it.

I always thought the French used it as an emphasis tag, moi. It sounds to me like a Frenchism.

Didn’t the original Brainiac character in the Superman comic books speak with a strange accent? Or was that the Bizarro dialect?

I heard it used in Northern Ontario by a lot of the OjiCree speaking Native population. I have no idea if it has anything to do with their language or not, just that that’s who used it. I adopted it as it has a neat tone to it.

I like it, me.

I’m thick, me - so what is the right grammar?

I’m thick, myself?

nothing quite sounds right

‘I’m thick’, with no colloquial intensifier, would generally suffice, I believe.

OB