Bread Fruit

Ugh, I hope not. (if they do, it is probably in the ethnic food aisle, right next to the canned haggis)

*Serenata de viandas con bacalao. * Mmm…Mmmm…Mmmm… You can also slice the breadfruit thick and make it into tostones

But that’s a very real issue with access to breadfruit in the temperate zone, even around here it doesn’t travel/store long-distance/term very well at all.

And as Sapo mentions, the notion of canned breadfruit elicits the: “sure you could do it, but… why?” reaction. (Now watch some smart-ass Anglo or Floricuban make a fortune on marketing it up…)

Canned breadfruit is indeed available in my local Asian market. Not that I would recommend it.

I have sampled the tinned rhambutan and longans and they were not too bad. Sort of the same difference between fresh and tinned peaches. Not truly just like fresh, but yummy still.

In Asia people with breadfruit trees in the yard often tie those plastic grocery bags around the fruit as it comes ripe to protect it from animals. It looks quite funny to see.

I’m pretty sure Juicy Fruit tastes like jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus), not breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis). The former is often described as cloyingly sweet, the later mostly tasteless starchiness.

I prefer breadfish.

Since this thread seems to be in its CS spiral, care to share some tips for breadfruit tostones? My MIL makes them but they are always mushy, never crunchy. I have never tried to make them myself since I have been so unimpressed by the result, but I am willing to give them a go.

IIRC, they had it on one season of Survivor?

Judging from the passages by earlier travellers on the subject that he quotes in his A Voyage to the South Sea, the standard comparison in Bligh’s day was that they tasted vaguely like artichokes.

I assume they’re talking about jerusalem artichokes, rather than globe? - this comparison would seem more apt to me.

Yep.

I’ll have to get in touch with my mother and get back to you about that (I personally can’t get them right to save my life either)… seems to be that the outside layer fries too quickly, and that “seals in” moisture and absorbed fat so that then once the heat’s off, these re-soften the whole thing.

:smack:
Juicy Fruit, you’re exactly right, is supposed to be Jack fruit NOT bread fruit.

Also it is Jack Fruit that you sometimes get pickled, or available in my local Asian Market.

Or see covered with bags while still on the tree when in Asia.

So sorry!

I think they would be great for a clam or lobster bake or kalua from what I’ve heard of them. Or throw them in the dwindling coals of a beach fire at night and eat them for breakfast the next morning.