[Breaking News] At Least 3 Killed and 50 Hurt in Amtrak Derailment in Remote Montana

About 141 passengers and 16 crew members were on board

That’s a shame, I wonder why it derailed. I hope the injured weren’t seriously hurt, but it’s sad that 3 people have died.
Didn’t we just have a member looking to travel by Amtrak? I seem to recall an Amtrak advise thread somewhere, can’t remember where just now. I hope they weren’t on that train.

My son was almost on that train. He was on the next train on that same line.

Too close a call.

My son and granddaughter took that very train about a year ago. Wonder how they are feeling now.

THAT would be a scary sense of relief!

Yes, that thread is here. I don’t believe that @WildaBeast was on the affected train; they were looking to take the train at Christmas.

I’m not sure if this is blocked by a paywall, but this article on Trains.com (to which I subscribe) has a some details from the initial story:

I used to live just down the road–well, about 50 miles away, in Havre, but that’s considered nearby in Montana. It’s pretty remote, all right. I’m guessing the injured were taken to Havre, as that’s the nearest town with a real hospital. Or at least, it used to be. I haven’t been back in a long time.

I’ve taken the Empire Builder and love that train. I’m curious about the cause of the derailment, too. It’s too late for hot rails to be the cause and a little too early for frost or ice. And as I recall, no curves there.

Yikes.

Some early updates on the investigation (quotes are from the WaPo article). The three deceased are a retired couple from Georgia, who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, and a man from Illinois.

Some additional information on what is known so far, including info from a press conference from this afternoon, from Trains:

One conjecture in the Times was that the unusual hot weather had caused a buckle in the track. I recall one trip on the Adirondack train that went even slower than their usual crawl speed (large parts of the trip are limited to 20 MPH) because, as they explained, the weather was very hot and the track prone to buckling.

How hot was it? I expect the weather has been much hotter in other parts of the country without this problem.

At 4pm on Saturday, when the crash occurred, it was 83F in Joplin, MT (the nearest town). So, warm for northern Montana in late September, but not tremendously so. Then again, it looks like it was a sunny day, and direct sunlight on the rails might have heightened the potential for buckling.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/mt/joplin/date/2021-09-25

40 years ago I was stuck for a few hours in the Canadian prairies for what the conductor called a “sun kink” in the rails. One passenger jumped off and started walking through a wheat filed to a far-off farmhouse. I stayed in the bar car.