Breaking news: Photography is an expensive hobby

I’ve already had a very significant amount of money invested in cameras, lenses, and accessories when the mirrorless bug bit me. So I bought myself a nice new mirrorless camera body.

But wait, now I need a $250 adapter in order to use my current lenses on the new camera.

But wait, I am moving from a crop frame sensor to a full frame. I won’t be getting the most out of the camera with those lenses, time to consider new lenses.

But wait, now that I am leaning toward wildlife photography, my expensive pan & tilt ball head for my tripod is not so useful, so I need a gimbal head.

But wait, it turns out that my version of my favorite photo editing software (Adobe Lightroom) is not compatible with the newer RAW format, and Lightroom is now available only by paying a monthly ransom rather than a single purchase.

OK, despite all my complaining, I lovelovelove the new camera.

mmm

Just be happy you’re not buying film, paper, chemicals, and darkroom equipment, and building a special room in your house to do all the processing. And spending hours standing in it breathing smelly chemicals waiting for processes to finish.

To say nothing of the money wasted when a print doesn’t turn out the way you want. Or when you ruin a whole roll of film by processing it wrong. Or the disappointment of finding out that a shot you worked hard to capture, and will never be able to take again, is over/underexposed, out of focus, or otherwise unusable.

All things digital photographers will never experience.

Ah yes, Gear Acquisition Syndrome (aka GAS). She’s a cruel mistress.

And that good gear will serve you for years to come!

I have let my photography hobby fade over the past several years, but have a substantial amount of Fujifilm X-camera gear, with multiple prime lenses–the 90mm is an absolutely awesome portrait lens.

A few months ago I started recording YouTube videos using my phone or my Logitech Streamcam…then I realized I could use those older Fuji cameras and lenses.
Wow, what a difference it makes to film video through proper camera lenses.

In the excellent series ‘Sports Night’, Dana gets the camera bug.
View this clip from 21.00 onwards to see how she does with a staff photo:

Sports Night 123 What Kind of Day Has it Been (youtube.com)

I’ve had this bug since I was a kid; so, some 60+ years of varying degrees of addiction. From Brownie Hawkeye to film SLRs to the Nikon D7200. Luckily, most of my lenses made the transition from Nikon N70 (film) to the D100. Not so lucky with the newest one. I ended up selling a few that just wouldn’t work with it. I was really hoping to be able to adapt my Celestron C5 to the camera, but the adaptor I bought didn’t work. Just as well, as it would have meant changing from a ball mount to a gimbal mount on the tripod, like the OP mentioned.

I took a photography class in high school and desperately wanted my own darkroom. Thank god I never had the room for one.

Nowadays, I pretty much just use the cellphone for photos, but the camera gear still skulks in the closet, whimpering and wondering why I don’t love it any more.

I’ve been selling off a bunch of stuff on eBay recently, after not using eBay for many years. I’ve accumulated a pretty decent amount of cash, and I thought it might be a good time to upgrade to a mirrorless camera. My main interest is night sky landscapes, so I started doing research on what body had the best low-light capabilities. What I found was: none are better than my current camera, the Nikon D800E (a decade-old design) . It’s both surprising and disappointing, but it also means I don’t have to fork over a couple of grand for a new body…

I’ve recently been in the market for a Canon 6D (12 year old body) to get astro-modded. I do quite a bit of nightscape stuff now, and I think it’d be a nice (and relatively inexpensive) addition.

I remember, back in the '80s, being smug about how cheap being an artist was compared to my photographer friends.

Then… I had to buy a computer. And Adobe products.

But now I’m back to drawing for a living. Pencils and paper are so cheap that I don’t even bother to declare expenses on my self-employment taxes.

(I do have my original all-manual camera, but I make myself work with what I’ve got, and resist the urge to upgrade… same with my old audio system.)

I have a question: I have my dad’s old Minolta 35mm camera and a whole camera bag full of different lenses. (He had a bad case of G.A.S. but was a terrible photographer. It pretty much became a family in-joke.) I haven’t used the camera in years, since film more or less went away. Can I buy a relatively inexpensive digital SLR and swap in different lenses like on the old film camera? Does it depend on the camera?

(As a result of the monthly photography contest threads, I’ve thought about trying to up my photography game, especially since most of the photos taken with my phone look like crap.)

Maybe. Depends on how old the lens is, and what camera you are thinking of.

I don’t know anything about Minoltas, but if the mount is different (very likely), you can probably buy an adapter to make the lens fit physically.

I am sure autofocus would not work, so you’d have to focus manually.

mmm

Actually it turns out it was a Pentax, not Minolta. And the lenses are all Pentax, except for one that I think said Vivitar.

So, which one is it?

Early Pentax used the most primitive of mounts - a threaded screw-in mount. Those lenses are unlikely to work on any modern camera without an an adapter, and even then they will be 100% manual.

If you think still photography is expensive, just try video production. It’s everything still photog is but at 30 frames/second it escalates rapidly. And you have to be an audio engineer with audio recording equipment as well.

Nikon Z5.

I still have (for now) my Nikon D7100, Nikon D80, and Canon AE1.

mmm

Hmm, well then maybe I sell the old camera and lenses and then buy all new digital stuff! And then still take crappy pictures! Like father like son! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, photography used to be an expensive hobby, back when you had to buy (and develop) film.

It still can be, but it doesn’t have to be.

Z5 is a great one. Congrats! DPReview has a cool article about great old lenses to use with your new camera – check it out, save some money!