Breaking up with long term girlfriend- The best way

I guess the best way is the old tried and true method:

A rubber REJECT stamp to the forehead with permenant ink.

I think it’s a whoosh, folks. He is pointing out that if he broke up with a girlfriend the way some advocate breaking up a friendship, (just not returning any calls and the like) people would call it cowardly. Read his comments in the linked thread to see how he views it. Or some such.

Am I right?

First: Does she have any inkling that there’s a problem between you two? If not…like if you’ve been behaving the same as you always did…then you have to “grease the skids” so to speak. You can’t just spring it on her.

Now, if you’ve been arguing you’ve been rather aloof for a while now, she knows it’s coming so it’s just a matter of you TACTFULLY telling her that it’s no longer working, and you think she knows that.

Sucks to be you anyway. And double sucks to be her.

ms mith, I have a cold. A head cold. Your reject post was funny as shit. I’ll spare you gory details of what happened when I read it.

“Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Not you, anymore.”

Borrowed from Dilbert.

Did you actually try that ArchiveGuy?

Just ignore them, women do that to guys & it works. Or just say you are ‘busy’ each time she wants to do something with you.

1. Take a long road trip with her.

2. Stop at some truck stop or rest area in the middle of nowhere.

3. While she’s in the bathroom, drive off without her.

This is particularily effective if the location is surrounded by hostile terrain, i.e., desert or frozen tundra.

Tell her you’re married to the sea, and that you won’t truly be happy in life until you’ve slain the white whale that took your leg.

On the plus side, she’ll think you’ve completely lost your mind, and that “writing you off” won’t be any real loss.

Real men use email.

Piff. AOL Instant Messenger.

I suppose I could always show up on her door in a French Legionare’s uniform. “Honey…I have something to tell you…”

I agree in theory, but every time I’ve tried this it’s prolonged the misery into a year of harassing phone calls and unwanted arguments.

I suggest sabotage. Be creative. The three-way suggestion is good.

Oh, yeah, if this is a whoosh: friendships are not the same as relationships. They just aren’t. This is why relationships can be so miserable.

No. Make it clear that the relationship is over. Be it face to face, a letter, an email, or even a post it note. Mindgames are just plain mean and shouldn’t be used.

You know, one thing I want to try in the event that I ever have a girlfriend and I’m the one who wants to break up:

Have wild, passionate sex. Then immediately afterwards, say “I’m breaking up with you. I just wanted to have sex one last time. Goodbye”

I could invite her out to a nice dinner. Wait until she goes to powder her nose. Place a lifelike animatronic dummy of myself designed by Stan Winston in my seat wearing my clothes.

When my girlfriend returns, the head explodes revealing that she has been dating a robot.