Brian Kelly (ND Football Coach) I hope your nightmares keep you up at night

No, I’m sure you can keep yer doughnut. Just sayin’ it wouldn’t happen with the folks I work with, in the place we’re at. We just had to lockout one of the big forklifts for two weeks because there was a bit too much slack in the parking brake cable.

Dude, are you a snowboarder or a time traveler from Huntington Beach back in 1984? Chill.

Ah, good for you. I’m glad you work with such conscientious folks. But I was replying to your post where you said “I live in freaking Texas and none of that shit would get by”. I thought you meant, ya know, that in Texas infractions didn’t occur. Sorry that I misread that. :rolleyes:

I’m a time traveling Italian (non-robot) snowboarder from Buffalo, NY back in 1966. And, I mean, hey, this is the Pit. There’s an image & a rep to uphold, after all. :smiley:

LOL. Cry moar, pls.

There are several informative posts on Deadspin covering this issue, written by people who performed the same job as Declan Sullivan. They include some very interesting insights on the pressure exerted on the camera operators and the chain of command that leads to the decision to send them up.

The Day I Thought I’d Die On A Scissor Lift: What It’s Like To Do The Job That Killed Declan Sullivan

More Stories About Terrifying Hydraulic Lifts From Football Videographers

Ah, so you admit you were wrong. Thanks for that concession.

LOL. You mad.

</dance>

Nope. Me happy. :smiley: You conceded my point. Thanks again.

If they regularly have guys up on lifts filming the football team, why don’t they build permanent towers?

I know nothing about the filming, and do not want to speculate about fault, but if you’re going to play in the wind, you’d better practice in the wind. I don’t think there was anything wrong with deciding to practice outside.

A tower would be a difficult-to-secure attractive nuisance on a college campus. TPTB probably thought a lift that could be stored in a secure location was less of a liability.

Why not invest in a remote head? Something that could be operated from the ground either wirelessly or hard wired? There are a lots available at very low prices.

I can’t speak for others, but I certainly read it. You wrote:

This is wrong. OSHA fines are often a minor component in how much a death costs a company. Since that information was absent from your post, it’s important to point it out. It’s not as if abolishing OSHA will suddenly allow companies to ride roughshod over their employees much more than they already do.

Nothing wrong at all, as long as you take into consideration the safety of everyone involved.

Ultimately Notre Dame was this kid’s employer and he died doing his job. Maybe someone ordered him into that unsafe condition which would be heinous. Maybe his supervisors didn’t understand the hazards involved which would be negligent. Very likely he wasn’t adequately trained to realize his peril or his right to refuse which would also be negligence on the part of his employer.

I promise you this, there were numerous and sudden safety training sessions taking place at universities across the nation since that accident.

If you read my post, then you know that all I was talking about was OSHA fines. Do you and Oakminster suffer from same kind of brain damage, or is your’s unique?

You were writing about OSHA fines. These are often a minor component of the cost to a company, and this was not acknowledged in your post. Thus, it is important to point out that a life is not worth only $7000 to a company. What is wrong with this clarification?

Well, the fact that you said I was wrong is what’s wrong. I was talking about OSHA fines, and OSHA fines only, and my information regarding that was not wrong. You wanna talk about potential other costs, go right ahead. But nothing I said was wrong.

The coach wanted the films. He grades practices on them. If he told him to skip it, the kid would be alive. I do hold the coach responsible.

Apparently this kid did not report to the football team. His “boss” was someone in the video dept. However, Brian Kelly, Jack Swarbrick and a whole bunch of other adults were there and I’m sure they’re kicking themselves pretty hard for not telling the film crew to get down from the llifts.

Also, there are 2 permanent structures on the practice field. They also use 2 lifts. There was another kid on another lift at this practice, and presumably people in the permanent structures. That none of them thought to get down from where they were is kind of surprising. Then again, like I said, there were enough coaches present that you’d think someone would have suggested for them to get down. After hearing more facts, I’m not quite as hard on Brian Kelly, but I do think someone there should have known better.

I think it is more complicated than saying the kid reported to some guy in the video department. Does the video department have the authority to override a a coaches desire to have his practices videotaped? To what extent does he have that authority, meaning, does he dare stand up to the coach at Notre Dame? Without any actual evidence, my gut tells me that the kid’s boss can’t really go tell Brian Kelly that his employees won’t be videotaping the practice. Just my opinion.

the state has fined the school $77500 for safety violations.

school will now use remote cameras, they announced.