Brit Bluesman Long John Baldry Passes.

‘Long’ John William Baldry: Born 1/12/1941 - Died 7/21/2005.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I’m a hypocrite for posting an obit thread. I usually sneer at (or pass right by) threads like these and tend to look down my nose at those who fall over themselves to praise celebrities.

But Long John Baldry wasn’t really much of a celebrity. He was a mentor…and a performer. Though I did get the opportunity to shake his hand after a smoking live performance several years ago - I didn’t know him on a personal level. I can’t eulogize the man - only his works.

A veteran of Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated, The Cyril Davies R&B All Stars, Steampacket & Bluesology, he performed alongside some of Britain’s finest musicians. UK MOR pop singles aside, his most famous solo albums were It Ain’t Easy, Everything Stops For Tea & Baldry’s Out. The latter exibiting his warped sense of humor following his release from a mental institution and the former containing his only FM radio ‘hit’: 1971’s “Don’t Try to Lay No Boogie-Woogie on the King of Rock ‘N’ Roll

Baldry’s Eulogy: Written 7 months prior to his passing, by Rod Stewart.

On a personal note, thank you Mr. Baldry, for introducing me to the genre known as British Blues.

He may have been born a Brit but he chose Canada as his home. RIP

That’s a shame.

I hadn’t heard much about him for years but was visiting Vancouver in the mid 90s and was somewhat surprised (!) while watching a short film about the city on top of Grouse Mountain to hear him on the soundtrack singing an official song praising the city… That was when I realised he had probably moved to Canada!