British Dopers -- Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe Needed!

Americans are poorer for never having had sticky toffee pudding. It’s a little piece of heaven in a bowl. The closest thing we have to it is bread pudding, but it’s not nearly the same.

So if you Brits have a little time, please share your sticky toffee pudding recipes with us.

I’ve personally made this one (actually an Australian recipe), and can vouch for its sinful tastiness.

I hope you can use metric?

Actually it lists cups and tablespoons, which as far as I know are not metric.

Thanks, jjimm!

Remember, though, that an Australian tablespoon is four teaspoons, not three. Why, I don’t know…in fact, I can’t even figure why I knew that…

I agree! Sticky Toffee Pudding is the BEST! I first had it at a little inn in the Lake District, and I’ve been searching for it ever since. I’ve never been a fan of dates, and even shuddered when I first heard that it was a main ingredient of Sticky Toffee Pudding, my my holy of grails, but I’m not complaining anymore. Thanks for the recipe and the “heads up” on the Aussie tablespoon!
:slight_smile:

Thanks also from me, jjimm! I did the conversion for Centigrade to Farenheit for the oven temperature via a cool tool for all sorts of conversions:
http://www.oneota.net/~earthsourcepowr/math/conversion.php , and it says that 180 C = 356 F . Soooo, I rounded down to 350 F to avoid overcooking.
:cool:

OMGTHATSMYFAVEPUDDINGEVVVVER!
That after sausage casserole!
My step-mum has a ‘place’ where she gets it from. I’ve tried getting it from different places myself but those are nothing compared to the stuff she gets.

I had it at the Garrick in Stratford-Upon-Avon. They seriously make delicious everything – I tried the toffee pudding several other places but the Garrick was the best. The whole time I was in England I wanted to go home to my kitchen so i could make it!

Thanks for the tip on the Aussie tablespoon!

Sticky toffee pudding is a staple on the dessert menu at Australian cafes and restaurants. The funny thing is that i never noticed that you couldn’t get it in the US until i made a visit home to Sydney last year. I sat down in a restaurant and saw Sticky Toffee Pudding on the menu, and immediately realized that i hadn’t had any in three years.

I’m not sure, either, why the Aussie tablespoon is bigger, but i have to make an effort to remember that whenever i make any of the recipes from the Australian cookbooks i brought to the US with me. In some recipes it doesn’t make a huge difference, but in others it can be crucial.

Hey, kath, where in the Lakes District were you staying? I worked in a hotel in Ullswater for a year, and it’s still one of my favorite places.

You eat sausage casserole for pudding? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d eat it for Breakfast Lunch Pudding Elevenses Second-Breakfast Brunch Dinner Supper and Tea, but no, I have the sausage casserole first, then the sticky toffee pudding.

Recipe, Lobsang, recipe!

Excuse me? England?

I’ve had sticky toffee pudding made in the place where they invented it - the Udny Arms, in Newburgh. The recipe may be found here.

I’ll almost certainly be eating it on Saturday, so I’ll nab the recipe off my step-mum.
I take it you mean sausage casserole.

mhendo,
I stayed in Helmsley, in a little place called the Black Swan. My fiance at the time (hubby now) worked for Forte Hotels so we got a deal on the room. Best romantic getaway. Wish I could go back. At least I can make the STP and reminisce!

Actually, there’s an Irish pub in Evanston, IL that serves it - it’s the only version I’ve ever had, and perhaps I’m just a poor, deluded American, but it was pretty mind-blowing. I could feel my arteries clogging as I shewed.

So if you’re ever in this neck of the woods, you might want to pay a visit to Tommy Nevin’s. (Good live music and fish and chips, too.) At least the flight is cheaper than Australia!

I, too, was working for Forte, at a place called Leeming House, on Ullswater (not sure if Forte still owns it).

I also know of the Black Swan, although i think you’ll find that Helmsley is in North Yorkshire, rather than the Lakes District. Still an absolutely beautiful part of the world, though.

Thanks for the tip. I love the Chicago area, and i’ll take any new excuse to get there, although it might be a while before my next trip.

I’ve never made it myself before, but the recipes offered in this thread actually look pretty easy, so it might be time to give it a go.

BTW, Eva Luna, haven’t seen you around for a while. Have you been away?

I’ve taken a couple of trips, but I’v been around, just less ubiquitously. Seems things are quieter since going pay-to-post, especially in GD. (At least on my hot-button issues.)

Hey mhendo, just say the word and I’ll make you some sticky toffee pudding from the recipe linked to up above. I’ve always wanted to try the stuff myself.